Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2nd hand diesel options

Options
  • 16-01-2019 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

Guys
    I'm in the market for another car.

Got the ford Kuga for my other half.
    I'm doing approx 400km a week country driving.

I need a diesel budget about 10k. Available in South west if possible.

Edited:

Needs to be 2011/12 or newer.

Replacing an 08 octavia petrol estate.

I Like the idea of an estate again. We have the family car but I'd like a bit of space in mine. A coupe would be nice but impractical:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Mondeo/Passat/Mazda 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

But more info on what you like/need size and class wise would help.

Everything from a 5 series/e class/a6 to a golf/focus/Astra would be grand for 400kms just changes the year you can get for your 8k

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Mazda diesels have a diesel problems with dpf dumping diesel into the oil.

Having run VW and Ford diesels here in parallel doing maybe 40k km yearly each the fords seem more reliable.

We had a 2010 Mondeo and it cost
    Little to maintain compared to the VW but I never found it near as comfortable as the VW. Changed the Mondeo for a Kuga and it’s a great drive in every aspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've added in some detail in OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have a look at the Renault Megane estate.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Have a look at the Renault Megane estate.

Had a Mégane before. Never again. Too expensive to repair anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The newer Megans are nothing like the old ones, they are pretty reliable these days. Your really going to struggle to find something decent within your 8k budget given your criteria unless your willing to travel to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

_Brian wrote: »
    Mazda diesels have a diesel problems with dpf dumping diesel into the oil.

Having run VW and Ford diesels here in parallel doing maybe 40k km yearly each the fords seem more reliable.

We had a 2010 Mondeo and it cost
    Little to maintain compared to the VW but I never found it near as comfortable as the VW. Changed the Mondeo for a Kuga and it’s a great drive in every aspect.

Is it not the case that mazda had a problem with this in older models?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

2012 facelift 2.0d4d Toyota Avensis tourer. Loads of space, usually very reliable and seem well suited to country driving (very few issues with dpf's, egr valves etc.)

bazz26 wrote: »
    The newer Megans are nothing like the old ones, they are pretty reliable these days. Your really going to struggle to find something decent within your 8k budget given your criteria unless your willing to travel to the UK.

I could probably stretch to 10k but wouldn't look at a French car again.

Not stuck on an estate but I like it for the big boot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement