Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bike renovation project

Options
  • 16-01-2019 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

So I've decided to bring a neglected dirty old hybrid bike back into service. I know by the time I've bought spare parts, cables, etc, I'd probably be better off scrapping it and putting the money and effort into a new bike instead, but considering this a personal challenge/hobby task.

I've replaced brakes, derailleurs, etc before so comfortable with those aspects of the job, but this time I'd also like to re-paint. The existing frame paint is chipped and marked all over so if I'm going to do this, may as well do it right and give it a good cosmetic make-over as well!

Done some research online and so my plan is to remove old paint from frame using Nitomor and a lot of sanding, and then apply a primer, paint and clear coat. Anyone any recommendations for a good rust protecting primer for an aluminum frame? And similarly, will your average aerosol paint and lacquer from the auto-factor shop work or is there something more suited for a bike? Suggestions welcome -if anyone has embarked on a similar project lately, would be great to hear any tips, suggestions or lessons learnt.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not that i know what i'm talking about, but that never stopped me before; from what i know, a rattlecan will not give you as durable a finish as a proper paint job. might be worth seeing if there's a panelbeater in your area you could throw a couple of quid to to powdercoat the frame, or do whatever would be done for a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

These guys do a great paint job: (so I'm told anyway)

http://www.bicycledesigncentre.com/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if it's only for an old hybrid, i assumed the OP wasn't going to go for a premium job.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

if it's only for an old hybrid, i assumed the OP wasn't going to go for a premium job.

Exactly, and anyways the point of the exercise is do-it-yourself. If I make a hames of it, so be it, but want to give it a go, and do as best I can!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Cathalu

Exactly, and anyways the point of the exercise is do-it-yourself. If I make a hames of it, so be it, but want to give it a go, and do as best I can!

Check out spray dot bike brick lane bikes do it. Check out squid bikes for inspiration!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Cathalu wrote: »
    Check out spray dot bike brick lane bikes do it. Check out squid bikes for inspiration!

thanks for that - had a laugh when I read about the paint...

"Optimal temperature for spraying: 20-25°C. Do not use Spray.Bike if the temperature is below 10°C or above 35°C, or if relative humidity is above 75%"

So I'll have to wait a few months for a break in the weather so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I sprayed hammerite on an old steel frame. Didn't even remove all the old paint, just sanded it to rough it up and remove the spota of rust.

It took forever to harden properly and while it is a bit delicate it does the job and it is easy to touch up.

I am planning a new project where I will restore a tandem, and maybe also make a fixie. If I need to paint the frame I will again use hammerite but will properly strip the paint off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Would you consider not painting the frame.
    My son has an aluminium frame. He used Nitromors to remove the old paint and then polished the frame. It was quite time consuming, but it looks well.

how does the polished surface stand up? does it need to be polished again occasionally?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

how does the polished surface stand up? does it need to be polished again occasionally?

In truth, it doesn't get a lot of use. He did it about 12 months ago, still looks the business. He minds it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭saccades

I looked at this a while ago for my steel frame - cleaning the chrome up was a ball ache, getting it re-chromed really expensive.

I was going to hammerite it but I ended up getting it bead blasted and powder coated. 100e complete and looked lovely.

I wouldn't powder coat an aluminium frame (you can knacker up the heat treatment) and as aluminium doesn't rust like steel, polishing back to bare metal works, you can help preserve the polish by laccuaring (sp). Or not and you do get an industrial chic.

Everywhere I read pretty much agreed that auto 2pack isn't strong enough for something like a bike and you need to be proficient to get a short lived good result.

All depends on budget I guess, cheap city hack and I'd cover in hammerite with minimal treatment.

Something nice and I'd be looking at a hydro dip or plasticoat.

Something really nice and I'd be looking at a proper job from someone like Argos in Bristol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Op.
    Ive done a few High Nellys.
    Strip the frame .Ask the local Headstone maker would he give it a quick Sand Blast . Saves alot of Time and Elbow greese.
    A can a spray primer and 2 of your colour choice from a Motor Factors or metal spray from a Hardware .
    A calm dry day and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Seen a bit of American Chopper one night where they left the steel unpainted but treated with some chemical or acid to give a corroded effect. They reckoned once treated no further corrosion would occur.
    Any suggestions for clear coating an old frame to keep the "petina " as they say in the antiques business. Very little rust on it but just enough. Want to keep all the old worn stickers as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Tigerboom.
    Again from the Nelly rebuilds. Burnt Linseed Oil from any hardware . Just a bit on a cloth and rub it on. It gives a bit of a shine. And has prevented any further rusting on the 2bikes from early 70s that were in good nick .Small bottle would last a life time.
    I have used it on decals on a old racer and it has not been a problem but I would still advise caution.

Advertisement