Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying to Kerry

Options
  • 16-01-2019 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭

Hi guys Hope I can get some help with my query here.

I'm based in the Donegal and I'm hoping to organise a hill walking trip to Kerry with some colleagues. (Carauntoohill awaits)

However in order to limit driving time I'm looking into the option of flying down.
    Would anyone know if flights go to Kerry from either Donegal or Derry airport, and has anyone taken that trip.

Flying may not be an option, I just want to check it out.

Thanks for any help you could give.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

joe40 wrote: »
    Hi guys Hope I can get some help with my query here.

I'm based in the Donegal and I'm hoping to organise a hill walking trip to Kerry with some colleagues. (Carauntoohill awaits)

However in order to limit driving time I'm looking into the option of flying down.
    Would anyone know if flights go to Kerry from either Donegal or Derry airport, and has anyone taken that trip.

Flying may not be an option, I just want to check it out.

Thanks for any help you could give.

There are no scheduled flights to either of those places from Kerry.

http://kerryairport.ie/website/flights-from-kerry-airport/destination-guides/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

ejmaztec wrote: »
    There are no scheduled flights to either of those places from Kerry.

http://kerryairport.ie/website/flights-from-kerry-airport/destination-guides/

You could go from Dublin to Kerry as a connecting flight to Dublin from your destination

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Thanks for that. I had found flights from Dublin to Kerry but that's not much good for me.

Driving it is.

Any suggestions for a town to base ourselves in the northern Direction. I Know Killarney is the obvious choice but I want to minimise driving the next day.

So maybe within 2 hrs drive of carauntoohil in the direction of Limerick. Good crack is a necessity. (Its not all about the walking)

fepper wrote: »
    You could go from Dublin to Kerry as a connecting flight to Dublin from your destination

2 flights would be overkill I think and probably too expensive anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Thanks for that. I had found flights from Dublin to Kerry but that's not much good for me.

Driving it is.

Any suggestions for a town to base ourselves in the northern Direction. I Know Killarney is the obvious choice but I want to minimise driving the next day.

So maybe within 2 hrs drive of carauntoohil in the direction of Limerick. Good crack is a necessity. (Its not all about the walking)

Tralee? cheaper than killarney Limerick would be within 2 hours of killarney

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

skyscanner should give you an idea of the cost of routing via Dub.

Looks like you're looking at €200+ (return) for CFN -> DUB -> KIR

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

fepper wrote: »

By the time you've finished hanging around in different airports you could have walked it for free :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Oh just hire a private jet... problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ShamrockAir

(Its not all about the walking)

Its about a 20 min drive to the base of Carrauntohill from Killarney. Its about a 20 min drive from Killroglin also.

What route do you plan on taking up the mountain.

Its about a 20 min drive to the base of Carrauntohill from Killarney. Its about a 20 min drive from Killroglin also.

What route do you plan on taking up the mountain.

The Devils ladder is the only route I'm familiar with. We'll probably use a guide though. (I used Kerry climbing before) I'm not going to be responsible for a group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ShamrockAir

The Devils ladder is the only route I'm familiar with. We'll probably use a guide though. (I used Kerry climbing before) I'm not going to be responsible for a group

There is some snow up there at the moment. Its wise to use a guide for a group, Conditions are supposed to get worse (Or Better if you like snow) during the week. Kerry Climbing have a fantastic reputation.

If you are using a guide it might be a better option to head up another way. When you have being up the ladder a few times it can become boring. Its also not recommend for large groups. Id imagine you will be advised to head up the "Zig Zags". See if you can come down the "Heavenly Gates". There are some beautiful views on the way down but it does involve a small bit of scrambling. EIther way enjoy you trip.

There is some snow up there at the moment. Its wise to use a guide for a group, Conditions are supposed to get worse (Or Better if you like snow) during the week. Kerry Climbing have a fantastic reputation.

If you are using a guide it might be a better option to head up another way. When you have being up the ladder a few times it can become boring. Its also not recommend for large groups. Id imagine you will be advised to head up the "Zig Zags". See if you can come down the "Heavenly Gates". There are some beautiful views on the way down but it does involve a small bit of scrambling. EIther way enjoy you trip.

Thanks a million for your response. I did the walk once before with Kerry climbing we went up the devil's ladder and down "Heavenly gates" you're right it was spectactular.
    It is a crowd from work I'm trying to get organised, hopefully it will work. Another trip to Kerry would be great.

You’d do Tralee Cronin’s Yard in 40 mins, go cross country via Farmer’s Bridge and Firies and cut across in Aghadoe. You may be setting off in darkness as the day is short so important to get out early. At this time of year, with groups, setting off late a cardinal error...the guide will know it anyway. Tralee a good bit nearer Limerick than Killorglin, lot more hotels.

Would avoid the Devil’s Ladder anyway, but particularly if you’ve done it before. If you’re paying a guide, go the O’Shea’s Gully route up if possible and get right into the heart of the range, the hanging valleys below Beenkeeragh etc. The Zig Zags are just a long walk and, while great for getting people who may not have done it up and down, if weather any way okay a guide should easily get a group through O’Shea’s Gully. Down the Heavenly Gates alright.

Advertisement