Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carole Nash driving other bikes

Options
  • 15-01-2019 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

Got insurance today with Carole Nash.
    They said the policy includes driving other bikes,first time a policy for me has this.
    I'm pretty sure the woman on the phone said the other bike has to be insured by someone else and taxed and not mine.
    So I checked the policy documents they emailed me and nothing states about the other bike needing insurance and tax.
    I know for the car policy it states the other car needs insurance ,tax and NCT.
    Anyone else with Carole Nash can tell me if the other bike needs insurance?
    Gonna ring them and check tomorrow or Thursday to make sure anyway,just wondering if anyone here can tell me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

honda boi wrote: »
    Got insurance today with Carole Nash.
    They said the policy includes driving other bikes,first time a policy for me has this.
    I'm pretty sure the woman on the phone said the other bike has to be insured by someone else and taxed and not mine.
    So I checked the policy documents they emailed me and nothing states about the other bike needing insurance and tax.
    I know for the car policy it states the other car needs insurance ,tax and NCT.
    Anyone else with Carole Nash can tell me if the other bike needs insurance?
    Gonna ring them and check tomorrow or Thursday to make sure anyway,just wondering if anyone here can tell me.

You'll need tax on any car or bike on the road. Insurance is nothing to do with it.

I'm with CN too, was under the impression the bike has to be insured by someone and you can't be the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

CorkCBR6 wrote: »
    You'll need tax on any car or bike on the road. Insurance is nothing to do with it.

I'm with CN too, was under the impression the bike has to be insured by someone and you can't be the owner.

If it's not written on your policy that the other bike has to be insured (by other), then it doesn't need to be.

It's one of the reasons I specifically use CN.

If you think about it, it's irrelevant : a policy by others, on another bike, doesn't afford you anything.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭honda boi

galwaytt wrote: »
    If it's not written on your policy that the other bike has to be insured (by other), then it doesn't need to be.

It's one of the reasons I specifically use CN.

If you think about it, it's irrelevant : a policy by others, on another bike, doesn't afford you anything.

Ye I've never understood the whole other vehicle has to be insured.
    Can't see how it would matter to your own insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Stanford

Usually riding other bikes is limited to TPF&T cover and the bike must not be owned by you

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Stanford wrote: »
    is limited to TPF&T cover

No fire, no theft. It's Third Party Only - TPO.

• Advertisement

Sorry only getting back now.
    Rang them and they said the other bike does have to be insured,taxed and roadworthy.
    Quick question for yas.
    I got my licence back in 2011 for an A before all this A1 and A2 stuff came about.
    I got an A2 back in 2014 when the laws changed and only got the A this year.
    When asked how long you've had your licence do you say 8 years or less then a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Go by the date that is on field 10 on the back of the license.

And CN advisors are wrong. You go by what the policy document says not the advisors. It's probably a case of one of them in the office has said it and now they all think it's true.

Or else the change is *coming*. My car is Insured with Liberty and last year under the driving other cars extension there was no requirement for the other vehicle to have another Insurance policy in place; but at renewal this year it was changed so that the other vehicle needs to have a policy in place.

Go by the date that is on field 10 on the back of the license.

And CN advisors are wrong. You go by what the policy document says not the advisors. It's probably a case of one of them in the office has said it and now they all think it's true.

Or else the change is *coming*. My car is Insured with Liberty and last year under the driving other cars extension there was no requirement for the other vehicle to have another Insurance policy in place; but at renewal this year it was changed so that the other vehicle needs to have a policy in place.

Ye the 10 field has 3 different dates.
    AM,A1 -2011(original A,when I got it)
    A2-2014
    A-2018.
    I said it to the woman on the phone but she had no clue and said she,LL put down I've got it for 8 years which got me a small refund( not complaining).

Again with the driving other bikes,I went through the policy multiple times to find anything about the other bike needing insurance or tax and there is nothing on the policy but the woman still said oh ye it just does have to be insured and taxed,even when I said where does it say this all I got was that that's the rules of driving other bikes. Priceless!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

A2-2014
    A-2018.
    I said it to the woman on the phone but she had no clue and said she,LL put down I've got it for 8 years which got me a small refund( not complaining).

Again with the driving other bikes,I went through the policy multiple times to find anything about the other bike needing insurance or tax and there is nothing on the policy but the woman still said oh ye it just does have to be insured and taxed,even when I said where does it say this all I got was that that's the rules of driving other bikes. Priceless!

Good luck explaining to the Garda that you don't need tax because your insurance doesn't mention it 😂

CorkCBR6 wrote: »
    Good luck explaining to the Garda that you don't need tax because your insurance doesn't mention it 😂

Lol I'd say he,d have a good laugh while he's towing the bike away!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

apologies to derails this thread but im curious as how this effects me.

im on 1st provisional. im applying to do the test soon (for april/may) i also intend to rent a catogory A bike as i own an A2 bike. but i could only get 3rd party insurance from CNash on my own bike. so can i do the test on a leased/rented bike? will the renters insurance cover me? given itll be from an ibt instructor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Nozebleed wrote: »
    apologies to derails this thread but im curious as how this effects me.

im on 1st provisional. im applying to do the test soon (for april/may) i also intend to rent a catogory A bike as i own an A2 bike. but i could only get 3rd party insurance from CNash on my own bike. so can i do the test on a leased/rented bike? will the renters insurance cover me? given itll be from an ibt instructor.

Recently did my test on an instructors bike for the full A as my own was just shy of the required minimum for the test.

The instructors bike is fully insured, you pay the instructor for the lessons,pre-test etc and hire of the bike for the test, the insurance is factored into their fees.

That's how i did it.

A2-2014
    A-2018.

The way I read what you just posted is this:

2011 - got AM/A1
    2014 - got A2
    2018 - got A

I don't see where you say you got your (full) A in 2011.

Or am I losing my mind here ?? :confused::confused::confused:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Again with the driving other bikes,I went through the policy multiple times to find anything about the other bike needing insurance or tax

..then that's all that matters, from (your) insurance point of view.

Tax, however, is for collection by the State, and the bike you're riding (irrespective of who owns/insures it), requires motor tax to be on the road. If it doesn't have current motor tax, AGS can seize it. Nothing to do with insurance at all.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

From my understanding of carol Nash is it really is separate to England carol Nash, they are paying for the franchise to run in Ireland.
    RT regulations in England require by law all bikes must have insurance to ride whether you own or not , Ireland you don't .
    Carol Nash Ireland are nit picking what they want from England if it covers them more.

The way I read what you just posted is this:

2011 - got AM/A1
    2014 - got A2
    2018 - got A

I don't see where you say you got your (full) A in 2011.

Or am I losing my mind here ?? :confused::confused::confused:

Sorry still have a learner permit.
    Been on and off bikes over the years.
    So basically I got an A learner permit( under old rules ) in 2011.
    Stop riding in I think in 2013
    Renewed in 2014, was given an A2.( Under 24)
    Stopped riding around 2016.
    Renewed again December 2018 ,given A ( as over 24)
    Fairly confusing ye :p

ZX7R wrote: »
    From my understanding of carol Nash is it really is separate to England carol Nash, they are paying for the franchise to run in Ireland.
    RT regulations in England require by law all bikes must have insurance to ride whether you own or not , Ireland you don't .
    Carol Nash Ireland are nit picking what they want from England if it covers them more.
    ..then that's all that matters, from (your) insurance point of view.

Tax, however, is for collection by the State, and the bike you're riding (irrespective of who owns/insures it), requires motor tax to be on the road. If it doesn't have current motor tax, AGS can seize it. Nothing to do with insurance at all.

Thanks lads.
    I understand the tax bit just thought it was odd that an insurance company gave a s**t about tax. And are trying to tell me I need tax to be insured.
    The cars insurance is with Aviva and they state on the policy the other car must be insured and roadworthy .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Thanks lads.
    I understand the tax bit just thought it was odd that an insurance company gave a s**t about tax. And are trying to tell me I need tax to be insured.
    The cars insurance is with Aviva and they state on the policy the other car must be insured and roadworthy .

If driving another car it must have a insurance disc and tax displayed all right,I remember when you could just stick a transfer of ownership from in the window when buying don't know if that is still the way.
    Motorcycles must have a current tax disc displayed.
    If requested by a gard you have 7 working days to produce insurance cert

You do not need tax to get insurance, it's the other way round. ......you need insurance to get tax.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 12,280 ✭✭✭✭blade1

You do not need tax to get insurance, it's the other way round. ......you need insurance to get tax.
    You don't even need that.
    You can just make up a policy no.

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »

This is true.

Done it myself.

All they really care about is the company as if stopped by Gardai the information declared when taxing comes up on the Garda Pulse System.

blade1 wrote: »

true, what the system asks for online, is a no. Now, what that no actually is, is, well..........

Ode To The Motorist

true, what the system asks for online, is a no. Now, what that no actually is, is, well..........

Saturday’s lotto numbers :pac:

Advertisement