Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike-to-Work Recommendations Cork??

Options
  • 15-01-2019 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for some advice. Going to do the bike-to-work scheme in Cork and was hoping some people could point me in the right direction.

I live about a fifteen minute drive, little hilly, in the city from the office soon to be about 25mins drive away. Mainly city riding but I would like to do some trails in the summer with it etc.

Can anyone recommend a good bike/bike store? Or any tips on what I should look out for?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I can give my experience as I got a bike on the scheme last year.

I bought a Giant Rapid. Very good light bike. I'd recommend.

I bought it from the Giant Store in Ballincollig. I would not recommend buying from them. While buying they are all about you, telling you options, fit pros and cons of different models. Very good there. As soon as the sale is made and they have your money they don't want to know you nor the sky over you. I asked for various extra components to be fitted. The mudguards were sloppily and improperly fitted. They forgot to fit another part and when they eventually did they didn't hand me over the standard part which was taken off. Despite a few emails and phone calls they have never responded. Shabby after sales service.

Another place to avoid is The Edge. I haven't bought there but a close friend was looking there and declined in the end. The staff are either clueless about bikes or only out to push and pressure a sale on you, not caring what you buy or whether it suits your needs as long as they make a sale and max out your C2W voucher.

I hear good things about Kilgrews cycles. I have bought a few bits there and they seem decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Would second that for Kilgrews, very good to deal with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I've heard worse stories from people about the Giant Store. Apparently i was lucky that they fitted the options at all. I heard that some people when they've paid the staff just give them the bike and the accessories separately and leave it to them to assemble it all.

Tbh, i'd rather if they just gave me the accessories to fit myself rather than fitting them sloppily and ill-fitting cos then I wouldn't have to dismantle it and reassemble again.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

I bought from cycle scene before. Frame size i wanted wasn't in stock and was constantly pushing out the delivery date. Bike was put together well but that's all I can say really. I mostly go to PI in mallow now and cant fault them, always happy to help and are cycling fanatics. I've gone into the edge for small bits and pieces but accompanied a friend in before while he was planning on buying a bike. Salesperson was just trying to push the expensive stuff and not really listening to what the bike was to be used for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭hesker

Another plug for Kilgrews. They helped me out once in loaning me a piece of equipment when there was nothing in it for them bar goodwill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Kilgrew's, VC Cycles and McCarthy's in Blackpool business park get my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gmannix1000

Thanks all - this was exactly what I was looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I'm getting this on Saturday but I live in dublin.
    Sounds like what you are looking for as we have the same needs in regards to a new bike.

See here:
    https://www.pennyfarthingcycles.com/5642/products/2019-trek-ds-2-mens-hybrid-bike-in-black.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gmannix1000

Thanks @byrenm31, that's absolutely definitely along the lines of what I'm looking for - sleek too.

If anyone else has any recommendations on bike - happy to listen! Don't know much about these...

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S3WB-49ViI

This sold me when I seen it. Its like the SWIS army knife of bikes. I know very little about bikes though but it seems like a really good bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

try west end cycles in Ballincollig as well, been to them a few times for bits and pieces and no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭JMcL

Bought my last BTW bike in VC Cycles. Great to deal with and often seem to have good price on clearance stock (got a previous years Genesis CdF about €500 lower than list price)

Advertisement