Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a hedge --- what and where in Kildare?

• 15-01-2019 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

I am looking to grow a hedge for the front garden of my house and wonder where in Kildare might be good places to go for variety and good price.

If you have advice for what type of hedge works best for you I am all ears. Pictures are welcome. :)

I am ideally looking for something that is very dense for sight protection (living near a street with plenty of foot traffic), noice protection (also plenty of cars), and wind (house is on an elevated level and gets quite a bit of that). I like the hedge to be soft in touch but not sure if this matches with the requirements just mentioned. Third, the plant should not be too sensitive. I do not mind it to go with the seasons and change colour. Not sure what else is important as I am just now starting to read more about it about it on this website (http://www.hedging.ie) while wondering if those prices are reasonable...

Hope to read your ideas and tips --- thanks in advance.

Best, A.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How tall and deep do you want it to be?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

based on your comment about privacy, the only deciduous broadleaves i think that could make your shortlist would be beech or hornbeam - they keep their leaves in winter (with the caveat that they go brown) but are a common choice.
    all other options would be evergreens, some more suitable than others. beware of leylandii.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Lumen wrote: »
    How tall and deep do you want it to be?

1.50m would be nice but I am happy to wait for that size for a year or two to save a bit. The hedge should have a potential to grow up to 2m.

Don't save up for bigger plants, but them young and cheap and let nature work for you. They'll catch up and overtake larger specimens.

There's a lot of beech in Kildare. I think it's a bit boring.

Start here and then hit Google images for examples

https://futureforests.ie/collections/evergreen-hedging

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Hornbeam and Beech don't give adequate privacy in Winter imo. Griselinia or Laurel would be my choices. Bare root is cheapest and now is to the time to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭victor8600

ampleforth wrote: »
    I am looking to grow a hedge for the front garden of my house and wonder where in Kildare might be good places to go for variety and good price.

Drive a bit further and visit Cappagh Nurseries and Garden Centre. I buy trees and hedging there and can wholeheartedly recommend them. They give good advice too.

victor8600 wrote: »
    Drive a bit further and visit Cappagh Nurseries and Garden Centre. I buy trees and hedging there and can wholeheartedly recommend them. They give good advice too.
    I got all my hedging from there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭macraignil

ampleforth wrote: »
    1.50m would be nice but I am happy to wait for that size for a year or two to save a bit. The hedge should have a potential to grow up to 2m.

Most hedge plants will grow more than 2m in height. You need to keep them trimmed to the size you want them, by clipping them back a couple of times a year.

Olearia and photinia red robin might be worth considering as options that have leaves all year round but also offer a bit more colour than some more common choices.

It is in range and I do not mind going further if they know what they talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

I can recommend Caragh Nurseries www.caraghnurseries.ie

They're not far from Naas and have a vast range of hedging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Was also going to suggest Caragh. Have travelled from North County Dublin to buy off them as they do offer excellent advice and have a good selection.

Caragh Nurseries is def. on my list for a visit this weekend, together with a list of plants from you guys... thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭victor8600

jomalone14 wrote: »
    I can recommend Caragh Nurseries www.caraghnurseries.ie

I went to Caragh Nurseries today and can confirm that their selection is comparable to Cappagh Nurseries', and they give good advice too :)

I have been there on Saturday, too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I went to Caragh Nurseries today and can confirm that their selection is comparable to Cappagh Nurseries', and they give good advice too :)

Try flanneries as well, big range, good prices too. Probably a bit more agricultural than the other 2

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Borzoi wrote: »
    Try flanneries as well, big range, good prices too. Probably a bit more agricultural than the other 2

Flannery's Nursery is gone unfortunately.

Advertisement