Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Claims for sheep trespassing on lawns

Options
  • 14-01-2019 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

In a scenario where a farmers ewes trespass on garden lawns, is the farmer always liable to pay for costs of 'damages' to the neighbours lawn?

Is there some situations where the farmer is not liable? For example if the sheep were being grazed on un-fenced commanage land?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Earnshaw wrote: »
    In a scenario where a farmers ewes trespass on garden lawns, is the farmer always liable to pay for costs of 'damages' to the neighbours lawn?

Is there some situations where the farmer is not liable? For example if the sheep were being grazed on un-fenced commanage land?

I don’t know the answer to your query... but interested to know what damage they caused?
    Usually with cattle, it’s damage to the lawn from their feet, with sheep it’s hard to see em doing that...

Actually, as we are talking scenarios - if the trespassing sheep ate something that was known to be poisonous, is the gardener responsible?

Not trying to have a go at you OP - just, as farmers we seem be responsible if anything goes wrong on our land, even if the people were trespassing.
    Just wondering how this might apply to animals?..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Earnshaw wrote: »

It is not so long ago that sheep grazed on golf courses and the only draw back was when they did their poo on the greens. I remember well when the groundsmen were out with their brooms sweeping the greens before play started.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

I don’t know the answer to your query... but interested to know what damage they caused?
    Usually with cattle, it’s damage to the lawn from their feet, with sheep it’s hard to see em doing that...

Actually, as we are talking scenarios - if the trespassing sheep ate something that was known to be poisonous, is the gardener responsible?

Not trying to have a go at you OP - just, as farmers we seem be responsible if anything goes wrong on our land, even if the people were trespassing.
    Just wondering how this might apply to animals?..

They haven't intruded before, but I've came across instances of people claiming for damage caused by cattle to gardens.

And I'm wondering if my sheep were to break onto a lawn what are the potential costs for damage?

And is there any way to protect against these claims? Other than providing impeccable fencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I’m sure the sheep farmer would be liable for damages. The little feckers can eat shrubs, up root flowers and knock over garden ornaments . Wife has given me plenty of ear bashing’s when they break into our lawn. Not on the same scale as cattle ploughing up a garden though. More like €50 to €100 in b&q for new potted plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭roosky

I have an issue where a neighbour asked me to fence the back of a post and rail fence to make sure my sheep dont go into his place...

I fenced it with sheep wire to keep the peace.

The neighbor then planted shrubs along teh fence something like laurel hedging and naturally the leaves grew all directions including out through the sheep wire.

I got a nasty text message saying that my sheep were eating his hedges and i will have to do something about it.

What would ye do??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

roosky wrote: »
    I have an issue where a neighbour asked me to fence the back of a post and rail fence to make sure my sheep dont go into his place...

I fenced it with sheep wire to keep the peace.

The neighbor then planted shrubs along teh fence something like laurel hedging and naturally the leaves grew all directions including out through the sheep wire.

I got a nasty text message saying that my sheep were eating his hedges and i will have to do something about it.

What would ye do??

He can't say much if the eaten laurels on your side, but if the ewes are putting their heads through you'll have to stop them........most sites have chainlink fence now
    Chicken wire tied to the sheep wire will stop them though

Advertisement