Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West Coast of Scotland Tour

Options
  • 14-01-2019 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭

Looking at doing a self drive to Scotland this year with Junior and hoping the weather in Scotland will be as good as last year:)

Drive up to Belfast and get the ferry across to Cairnryan looking at below options. Don't want to do to much driving but hopefully will break it up especially with Junior in the back.

Drive to Ayr approx. 1 hour 20 mins
    Stay in Ayr Overnight

Drive to Glasgow about 1 hour
    Stay one night in Glasgow

Drive to Oban. About 2 and a half hours
    Spend 2 nights there

Drive to Fort William about 1 hour and a half spend 2 nights
    Possible day drive up to Loch Ness 1 and a half hour drive

Get the Jacobite to Mallaig train 10:15 am start back at 4pm

Drive to Mallaig (1 half hours) get ferry to Sky and drive to Portree
    Stay 2 nights

Portree to Armadale and get ferry to Mallaig

Drive to Glencoe or lock Lomond balloch or Dryman spend the night there

Then get the ferry back to Belfast following day

Anyone got any other suggestions or tips as want to do a loop so get back to Cairnryan for the Ferry.

Not visiting the East coast and going to do it in 10 days or 14 days max if possible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Looking at doing a self drive to Scotland this year with Junior and hoping the weather in Scotland will be as good as last year:)

Drive up to Belfast and get the ferry across to Cairnryan looking at below options. Don't want to do to much driving but hopefully will break it up especially with Junior in the back.

Drive to Ayr approx. 1 hour 20 mins
    Stay in Ayr Overnight

Drive to Glasgow about 1 hour
    Stay one night in Glasgow

Drive to Oban. About 2 and a half hours
    Spend 2 nights there

Drive to Fort William about 1 hour and a half spend 2 nights
    Possible day drive up to Loch Ness 1 and a half hour drive

Get the Jacobite to Mallaig train 10:15 am start back at 4pm

Drive to Mallaig (1 half hours) get ferry to Sky and drive to Portree
    Stay 2 nights

Portree to Armadale and get ferry to Mallaig

Drive to Glencoe or lock Lomond balloch or Dryman spend the night there

Then get the ferry back to Belfast following day

Anyone got any other suggestions or tips as want to do a loop so get back to Cairnryan for the Ferry.

Not visiting the East coast and going to do it in 10 days or 14 days max if possible

It is difficult without knowing what interests you and junior but here are some views from me -

- Fort William - I am not a fan of it and I certainly would not spend two days here. I would spend more time in Oban (or Mull).
    - Oban - this is the jumping off town for the western isles which you must do. =Mull - 40 minute ferry from Oban - full of wildlife - eagles (golden & white tailed), otters, seals, etc.
    =Iona - 10 mins ferry from Mull - ancient abbey founded by Columba.
    =Staffa & Treshnish Islands - boat trip from Oban or Mull. Fingals cave is on Staffa. Depending on the time of year, you can get up close and personal with puffins on the Treshnish islands.
    Loch Ness - avoid, tacky tourist trap and spoiler alert (there is no monster)

On Skye to avoid backtracking from Portree to Armadale take the bridge at Bradford to Kyle instead. Take a different route south.
    Also if you have not booked accommodation on Skye, do it soon, the island gets fully booked in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

bob mcbob wrote: »
    It is difficult without knowing what interests you and junior but here are some views from me -

- Fort William - I am not a fan of it and I certainly would not spend two days here. I would spend more time in Oban (or Mull).
    - Oban - this is the jumping off town for the western isles which you must do. =Mull - 40 minute ferry from Oban - full of wildlife - eagles (golden & white tailed), otters, seals, etc.
    =Iona - 10 mins ferry from Mull - ancient abbey founded by Columba.
    =Staffa & Treshnish Islands - boat trip from Oban or Mull. Fingals cave is on Staffa. Depending on the time of year, you can get up close and personal with puffins on the Treshnish islands.
    Loch Ness - avoid, tacky tourist trap and spoiler alert (there is no monster)

On Skye to avoid backtracking from Portree to Armadale take the bridge at Bradford to Kyle instead. Take a different route south.
    Also if you have not booked accommodation on Skye, do it soon, the island gets fully booked in summer.

Thanks.

Forgot to mention Miss Gunner going also:o Hopefully end of June early July when the weather is warmer :D:D

So 3 of us and Junior whom will be close to 2 so his interests at the moment are eating and sleeping:) However I think he would enjoy the Steam train and possible ferrys and open spaces where he can walk about and burn the energy and explore. We would be just about relaxing, when we can,take in the scenery and make sure Junior is ok. If we get good meals and possible trip to a distillery that would be a bonus. So no trekking or long walks over mountains only short walks with the pram:D

Was only looking at Fort William as that is where the Jacobite train starts so it was more to arrive there,relax and then the following day get the train and then leave the following day.

What do you mean there is no Loch Ness Monster in the era of mobile phones nobody has managed to get a pic:p May go up for a drive if I get time but not to pushed but when in Rome etc.

For Skye the drive from Bradford seems longer and with Junior in the back don't want to be driving for to long. I know we can do stops if there are any places to recommend I am all for it.

Itinerary not fixed just want to do a loop and to stay not go far away from Cairnryan for getting the ferry back.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Ok some of the stuff I recommended may not be suitable for a 2 year old.

The place in the highlands with the most stuff for kids is Aviemore but this is further east than your current plans.

This tells you what is there

https://www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/things-to-do/north-scotland/the-highlands/aviemore

You can use this for each of the towns you are going to

Cheers

Need to speak to a few Scottish friends and look at what's best with not too much driving

Ok have a route and no looking at hotels and most ok except on the Isle of Skye

Wow a lot of Sky Fall prices:eek:

Was looking at staying in Portree but need a mortgage to stay in some of the places

Any other towns that would be worth checking out to stay for 2 Adults and Infant

• Advertisement

Air BnB?

Stayed in Fort William for a weekend last summer. Hotels not cheap at all. Got an Air BnB, it was perfect.

Found Hotels in fortwilliam and not to bad a price but moving on from there to the Isle of Skye

Its Scotlands Killarney and since the bridge built to the island seems to have increased popularity more

Getting some B&Bs but a lot booked out already on the Island

Still searching

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement