Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most stupid line in a movie trailer?

Options
  • 14-01-2019 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

I thought I had seen it in the recent film Mortal Engines
    "We have to stop London before it destroys us"
    (Cue image of London zooming around on wheels)

But the most recent trailer for IO manages to outdo even this for ridiculousness

"IN THE NEAR FUTURE EARTH WILL BECOME TOXIC
    HUMANITY WILL FLEE
    "

Where will they flee? To this delightful place:

Io.jpg

If it looks unhealthy that's because that moon is constantly regurgitating itself - it is the most volcanic body that we know of in the universe. That's not the least of it though - Io receives about 3,600 rem (36 Sv) of ionizing radiation per day.

For context:
    At a dose of about 10 Sv (1000 rem) a person has a 100% chance of death
    After this dose, the time to death drops as the dose increases; in all cases, the time until death depends on the health of the person exposed and individual variability
    For doses in excess of about 25 Sv (2500 rem) death usually occurs in days.

I think that they just picked "IO" because they think it sounds more cool than Ganymede or Callisto (and I'm not sure that it does)
    Who gets paid to write this stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Any movie trailer that uses radio spots, usually has to pick the "let's do this" / "i'm ready" line to convey action etc.
    Sounds so shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

"Forget everything you think you know" or any variation of that basically trying to suggest "Things are going to be so much different now"

Doctor Strange
    X-Men Apocalypse
    Hunger Games 2

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Arguably the most stupid line in a trailer is the most stupid line in a movie too.

Do you play roulette?
    On occasion.
    Let me give you a bit of advice. Always bet on black.

90s cheese. Only surpassed by 80s cheese. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"These bats are bred for one purpose... for waaaarrrrrrrr."

Dunno why, but that line from noted insomnia cure, The Hobbit: Battle of the 5 Armies, always made me roll me eyes, chuckle and vomit at the same time. Think at that point my patience for Middle Earth was truly spent.

[Don LaFontaine voice]: In a world where …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Venom:

"We will eat both your arms, and then both of your legs, and then we will eat your face right off your head. You will be this armless, legless, faceless thing, won’t you? Rolling down the street, like a turd in the wind."

Taken from comics...but still ridiculous

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭paulbok

Anything that has "this year" in the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

"From...."

An example would be the trailer from The Rock.
    Voice over man tells us it's "From Michael Bay, the director of Bad Boys..."

This translates as "Bad Boys, remember that? That was good wasn't it? Come and see The Rock, it's good as well".

Just the trope of using previous well received works which are completely unrelated to the film in order to sell it is lazy and annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

valoren wrote: »
    "From...."

An example would be the trailer from The Rock.
    Voice over man tells us it's "From Michael Bay, the director of Bad Boys..."

This translates as "Bad Boys, remember that? That was good wasn't it? Come and see The Rock, it's good as well".

Just the trope of using previous well received works which are completely unrelated to the film in order to sell it is lazy and annoying.
    Seriously? You've never been remotely interested who the director of a movie was? Never cared about his track record? I don't think your position on this is normal.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

That's a megaledon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,834 ✭✭✭✭Basq

mikhail wrote: »
    Seriously? You've never been remotely interested who the director of a movie was? Never cared about his track record? I don't think your position on this is normal.
    Movie fans would be.. the casual movie-going public, not so much..

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

Blackjack - Dolph lundren fighting in a dairy factory, seemingly getting weary and exclaims hes "lactose intolerant".

There was a reason it was a TV movie. It wasnt so much stupid, than it was the most ridiculous things i've ever heard dolph say in a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Calling out the director makes sense. Whether its Michael Bay or Scorsese, directors have their own style.

"From the producers of ..." makes much less sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,834 ✭✭✭✭Basq

RayCun wrote: »
    "From the producers of ..." makes much less sense.
    I absolutely despise this too..

Blumhouse productions are particular bad for it..

Advertisement