Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Alfred the Great

• 13-01-2019 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭ bobbyss

Anyone have any memories of a film by this name made partly at any rate in Galway? It starred David Hemmings. Wondering about locations used.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭ nuac

I remember some scenes of Alfred being shot around Galway about 1960s ( I think )
    A firm O'Deas in Tuam were employed to make some furniture replicas of that period.
    E.g.a particular kind of three legged solid wooden chair.
    A wine bar in Westport - Tom's Gallery - still has one of these. I am sure Tom would have some more details on the making of that film

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭ jeoun

Some scenes were shot near Knockma Hill in Belclare. I think there is a sign just before you start the hill walk with some information about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ chasmcb

A book came out last year to mark the movie's 50th anniversary. It is called "Viking Summer; MGM's filming of Alfred the Great in Galway" and is written by Mary J. Murphy and published by Knockma Publishing. Actually I see the book was first issued in 2008. Here is a link to Galway Advertiser article about it which also covers the movie: http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/5331/the-making-of-alfred-the-great

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭ Whereisgalway

Only watched it again a few weeks ago, it really is a masterpiece

Advertisement