Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I know this is based in the States but...

Options

Comments

myshirt wrote: »
    And will the government compensate this gentleman?

According to the Reddit thread, the government will pay "a tiny portion" of the damage caused. Dunno what that translates to in real life, but either way, it's disgusting to see something like that happen to a house.

Especially when, as they say in the video, the renter is obliged to pay $53 per month (govt. apparently paying $1,000 per month). $11 per week, and they end up selling the appliances and wrecking the place.

Madness.

Thing is though - surely you can tell that kind of person when you first meet them, no? I'm confident, that if someone is able to mess the place up that much, there must be some very obvious warning signs (unless you're not allowed to know who's getting the house until they're moving in or something like that, to keep it anonymous?).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

According to the Reddit thread, the government will pay "a tiny portion" of the damage caused. Dunno what that translates to in real life, but either way, it's disgusting to see something like that happen to a house.

Especially when, as they say in the video, the renter is obliged to pay $53 per month (govt. apparently paying $1,000 per month). $11 per week, and they end up selling the appliances and wrecking the place.

Madness.

Thing is though - surely you can tell that kind of person when you first meet them, no? I'm confident, that if someone is able to mess the place up that much, there must be some very obvious warning signs (unless you're not allowed to know who's getting the house until they're moving in or something like that, to keep it anonymous?).

Asking you to take rent allowance / HAP / Section 8 whatever is usually the biggest one.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No. TBH, the owners probably bought into the whole "give a family a chance" spiel, and I doubt the owners ever saw who was moving in.

It'd be like renting your house to the council on a 10 year lease, and getting it back wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I agree, there has to be a business model behind each rental and the owner stepped away from that. He tried to be a good guy and solve problems that are not his to solve. Great humanity about him and I do feel for him with the state of the property when he retook possession.

Shameful and disgusting that you'd do that to someone. It's self destructive as well. The tenant had a roof over her head but couldn't give a bollix, she still behaved like an animal.

Advertisement