Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crime in Portugal

Options
  • 13-01-2019 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭

I was listening on the radio to the recent reports of attempted kidnapping and robbery at gunpoint of an Irish couple in Albuifera and also another attack where a guy was knocked unconscious and robbed.

Are parts of Portugal really that bad or are these isolated experiences for tourists?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I could be wrong but that particular story doesn’t quite sound believable to me. And even if true they were very unlucky to have such a rare occurrence happen to them.

I wouldn’t let it put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,072 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Big thread on it in After Hours. People have found so many holes in the story it looks like a sieve. I wouldn't let it worry you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It would take me too long to link to all the "tourist robbed" stories in Dublin.

Stay at home OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭LeBash

I go to the Algarve every year. The only 2 places I wouldn't go are Albefeira and Villamoura. Been in day trips and never seen any crime but one is a plastic kip overrun by anchors and the other has a nice old town but the whole place is overrun by anchors.

Everywhere else ive been is really nice, Portamão next and I can't wait, really enjoyed it last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I have been all around the Algarve including Albufeira and have never had an issue or felt unsafe, in busy areas at night I have been offered drugs plenty of times, but you just ignore them and keep on moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

LeBash wrote: »
    I go to the Algarve every year. The only 2 places I wouldn't go are Albefeira and Villamoura. Been in day trips and never seen any crime but one is a plastic kip overrun by anchors and the other has a nice old town but the whole place is overrun by anchors.

Everywhere else ive been is really nice, Portamão next and I can't wait, really enjoyed it last time.

Whats anchors

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Berberis wrote: »
    Whats anchors

I'd imagine the W is silent.

I visit Portugal at least once a year and love it.
    Lagos has become a bit rough around the edges, bars and bouncers openly selling drugs not just the lads on the street but it still manages to be safe.

Advertisement