Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to Cyprus for holidays

Options
  • 12-01-2019 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi all. Just wondering, has anyone ever been to Cyprus before? I'm talking about the EU part not the Turkish part. My main concern is the language, I don't speak a word of Greek so just wondering can I get by using English?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Yes, it was a former UK colony. English is universally spoken.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭ninjarambohd

Yes, it was a former UK colony. English is universally spoken.

Well that's a relief. I was in Barcelona and Madrid 2 or 3 years ago and it was so difficult getting around, no one spoke a word of English. Thank god for google translate though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Absolutely you can. I don't remember hearing anything but English when I was there some years ago.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Absolutely you can. I don't remember hearing anything but English when I was there some years ago.

Are you serious? That's awesome then. What parts were you at?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

What part are you going to OP?

None of the resort parts e.g. Napa, Larnaca, Paphos etc will have language barriers. No harm in picking up the usual mannerly phrases for the trip though.

• Advertisement

theteal wrote: »
    What part are you going to OP?

None of the resort parts e.g. Napa, Larnaca, Paphos etc will have language barriers. No harm in picking up the usual mannerly phrases for the trip though.

I am going to Paphos then Limassol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

English is very widely spoken, it drives on the same side of the road as Ireland and even your mobile phone charger will fit the sockets as they use the same ones we do.

EdgeCase wrote: »
    English is very widely spoken, it drives on the same side of the road as Ireland and even your mobile phone charger will fit the sockets as they use the same ones we do.

That's brilliant then a huge sigh of relief. Are the people friendly there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I am going to Paphos then Limassol.

I really enjoyed Paphos, nice restaurants overlooking the water, the castle/opera place at the end, it all just looks nice. Also saw my first ever real-life snake out in the wild while out at the Tomb of the Kings - which I though was cool (and went for a closer look) but it signalled the end of our discovery stroll according to MrsTeal

theteal wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Paphos, nice restaurants overlooking the water, the castle/opera place at the end, it all just looks nice. Also saw my first ever real-life snake out in the wild while out at the Tomb of the Kings - which I though was cool (and went for a closer look) but it signalled the end of our discovery stroll according to MrsTeal

Oh god that snake bit....it's making me have doubts of whether I should go or not :rolleyes::)

• Advertisement

Are you serious? That's awesome then. What parts were you at?

Travelled all over the island. Was on a motorbike. Hubby asked me to marry him during that holiday !

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Travelled all over the island. Was on a motorbike. Hubby asked me to marry him during that holiday !

Ah that's absolutely brill! Were the people friendly?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

We stayed in Paphos last year. Beautiful area. People were friendly. Enjoy.

Ah that's absolutely brill! Were the people friendly?

I think they were absolutely fine, yeah.

Advertisement