Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low pressure cartridges

Options
  • 12-01-2019 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hello I’m looking for low pressure cartridges 950 bar for a 20 bore hammer gun with Damascus barrels , how safe are they to shoot, would it be safer to get them sleeved the barrels are in great condition , any advice given Please Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭retro d

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Thank you yes they are the ones I saw only in America from my google search unless they can be got here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Perhaps a question for reloaders, or some of the Mods.
    Do 21gramme cartridges commonly available ( like the Eley Amber 21g. or Lyalvale's "Super Light") have a lighter charge of propellant as well as a lighter charge of shot?

Retro d, has your gun proof marks for black powder?

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Perhaps a question for reloaders, or some of the Mods.
    Do 21gramme cartridges commonly available ( like the Eley Amber 21g. or Lyalvale's "Super Light") have a lighter charge of propellant as well as a lighter charge of shot?

Rate of, has your gun proof marks for black powder?
    Thank you All I know is I was told to look for cartridges that were not to exceed 950 bar

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

What we are asking is, what are the proof marks on your gun? and how old is it? Details of your gun would be a great idea. Some so-called 'Damascus' barrels are quite safe with gentler nitro loads, but better off with black powder loads. However, I bleeve that such cartridges are unavailable in the RoI. The proof marks will show whether or not nitro loads may be fired in it. If there is no mention of nitro, this can be taken to indicate that the gun is pre-nitro, and therefore unsuitable for any kind of nitro load.

• Advertisement

tac foley wrote: »
    What we are asking is, what are the proof marks on your gun? and how old is it? Details of your gun would be a great idea. Some so-called 'Damascus' barrels are quite safe with gentler nitro loads, but better off with black powder loads. However, I bleeve that such cartridges are unavailable in the RoI. The proof marks will show whether or not nitro loads may be fired in it. If there is no mention of nitro, this can be taken to indicate that the gun is pre-nitro, and therefore unsuitable for any kind of nitro load.
    Thank you , the dealer has the gun so I will ask for all details , really appreciate all the advice guys Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

If it has no nitro proof i would not be firing anything though it.
    And you should have the gun inspected before even considering it. It could potentially explode. Or something could give way like the bolt or hinge pin etc.. Personally I would proceed with extreme caution when dealing with any Damascus barrel regardless of how it looks.

juice1304 wrote: »
    And you should have the gun inspected before even considering it. It could potentially explode. Or something could give way like the bolt or hinge pin etc.. Personally I would proceed with extreme caution when dealing with any Damascus barrel regardless of how it looks.
    Thank you , I have read a lot about those Damascus barrels this week and some horror story’s too that’s unsettled me , I just fell in love with it when I saw it absolutely gorgeous with the hammers on it and the lovely scroll work , if it’s not nitro proof I won’t chance it absolutely never , I just got the lad to hold it for me , I will know more tomorrow i have a 12 gauge already and wanted a 20 gauge for a while , and it fitted lovely so we will see ,

juice1304 wrote: »
    Thank you , I have read a lot about those Damascus barrels this week and some horror story’s too that’s unsettled me , I just fell in love with it when I saw it absolutely gorgeous with the hammers on it and the lovely scroll work , if it’s not nitro proof I won’t chance it absolutely never , I just got the lad to hold it for me , I will know more tomorrow i have a 12 gauge already and wanted a 20 gauge for a while , and it fitted lovely so we will see ,

Well, the gun is AT a dealers right now, so an inspection as to its fitness for sale and shooting should not be ruled out. If the gun is not fit the shoot, then it should not be sold as fit to to shoot, and the buyer should be told so in no uncertain terms.

How does that work out with regard to licensing in the RoI?

However, please note that there are 'Damascus' barrels and 'Damascus' barrels. I regularly shoot with a pair of guns made in 1892 that have Damascus barrels, and they are in proof, albeit for BP cartridges only. Bear in mind that they are Holland & Holland-made, but they are nothing out of the ordinary. Many fellow club members have so-called 'Damascus' barrelled shotguns that are even older - percussion and flintlock - and have passed proof.

• Advertisement

tac foley wrote: »
    Well, the gun is AT a dealers right now, so an inspection as to its fitness for sale and shooting should not be ruled out. If the gun is not fit the shoot, then it should not be sold as fit to to shoot, and the buyer should be told so in no uncertain terms.

How does that work out with regard to licensing in the RoI?

However, please note that there are 'Damascus' barrels and 'Damascus' barrels. I regularly shoot with a pair of guns made in 1892 that have Damascus barrels, and they are in proof, albeit for BP cartridges only. Bear in mind that they are Holland & Holland-made, but they are nothing out of the ordinary. Many fellow club members have so-called 'Damascus' barrelled shotguns that are even older - percussion and flintlock - and have passed proof.

Thank you , wealth of information you are Tac , I’m in the dark at the moment Tac safety first and foremost , at the moment how I feel about it even if it’s nitro proofed I’m cautious of firing a 100 yr old gun I’m totally not relaxed about that at all , would it be worth getting it sleeved and that’s another few hundred €€€ hand on heart if I could get it sleeved I would Id be more relaxed firing it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

retro d wrote: »
    Thank you , wealth of information you are Tac , I’m in the dark at the moment Tac safety first and foremost , at the moment how I feel about it even if it’s nitro proofed I’m cautious of firing a 100 yr old gun I’m totally not relaxed about that at all , would it be worth getting it sleeved and that’s another few hundred €€€ hand on heart if I could get it sleeved I would Id be more relaxed firing it

Plenty of 100 year old guns out there working fine within their limits. You need to find out what proof marks are on it and take it from there. Nitro proof would be great because it would more than likely put it within the limits of using modern light load cartridges. If it's an English ( that includes Irish pre independence ) gun or continental gun the proof marks will give you all the info you need in relation to chamber length, suitable propellant and maximum weight of shot proofed for. After that an inspection by a proper gunsmith will tell you all you need to know about it's current condition.

Plenty of 100 year old guns out there working fine within their limits. You need to find out what proof marks are on it and take it from there. Nitro proof would be great because it would more than likely put it within the limits of using modern light load cartridges. If it's an English ( that includes Irish pre independence ) gun or continental gun the proof marks will give you all the info you need in relation to chamber length, suitable propellant and maximum weight of shot proofed for. After that an inspection by a proper gunsmith will tell you all you need to know about it's current condition.
    Thank you that’s good to know I’m feeling more relaxed now ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Make sure to check the chamber length. Many old Damascus hammer guns made by the likes of Boss had two inch chambers and need appropriate cartridges.
    Edit: Just spotted that mearhstevie mentioned this.

Yup. I'm shooting two shotguns made in the late 1880's, two rifles made in 1862 and one made in 1861.

Advertisement