Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

YouTube and DIY (UK/IE)

Options
  • 12-01-2019 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

I am watching DIY channels on YouTube, such as:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnorhjQR4zJkT7AVNhu395Q

and

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFCTrfb1JUJjs3Im8OZDtBw

and like them without doubt. These are US handymen who run their YT show on the side and they stand out from those who just do things because something breaks. They are good and they show professional insight.

However, sometimes I would like a UK / Irish version just so that materials and questions of climate and lifestyle would match a bit better. For example, I would never build a front-deck and I do not have a drywall behind everything...

What channels do you watch?

Best, A.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭MaryBrosnan

I have been watching videos on alternatives to drilling and screwing. Unfortunately it has attracted infantile posters and responses.
    The US are way ahead of us and more open minded unlike here. I’ll post up channels I watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Good points. I look forward to your list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I have been watching videos on alternatives to drilling and screwing. Unfortunately it has attracted infantile posters and responses.
    The US are way ahead of us and more open minded unlike here. I’ll post up channels I watch.

Great, always looking for alternatives to screwing.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

ampleforth wrote: »
    Good points. I look forward to your list :)

Mary is a troll, it's best to ignore him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭MaryBrosnan

Mary is a troll, it's best to ignore him.

Why are you personally bullying me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Why are you personally bullying me?

I was hoping you would post links to channels on using no screws

Looks like that good Irish / UK Youtube Professional channels on DIY are just not there... :(

After I read Mary's thread on glueing a massive flatscreen TV to the wall, I am not as confident that she should be sharing information to this category ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

charley diy is fairly good
    ultimate handyman is good for tips on removing bolts etc

gosforth handyman is great for more advanced crapentry diy

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Sometimes I watch Larry Haun videos as a form of meditation.

That's the code!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

advanced crapentry diy

Hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jhenno78

Look...that thread was a train-wreck.

A lot of the criticism of what you were asking was non-constructive. Some of it was completely unrelated to the topic, very personal and totally out of order.

A lot of it was completely valid however. You showed a lot of naivety and a complete unwillingness to listen or interact with it people who were trying to help.

I have no interest in criticising you personally, I don't know you, you're probably lovely. It's important to understand that experience/trial and error in things is allows you to put things into context and see the bigger picture. It allows you to take a general solution to something and apply to an individual case where there will be nuances that greatly effect the outcome. eg. assessing manufacturers claims vs. real world applications, assessing pros and cons, assessing what the end result will be when you have to remove it in a few years.

When people on here post things sometimes they're wrong, sometimes they don't provide the perfect solution, sometimes they think they know more than they do. Mostly though they provide good solutions based on years research, lessons from others, getting things right and a lot of getting things wrong. You tend to learn most from the balls-up and you'd always like to spare others the heart-ache.

I'd imagine you're just about done with this forum, and I don't blame you. Best of luck with your next project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jhenno78

Found this guy useful for plumbing. There's a bit of in-built promotion, but nothing too pushy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Lumen wrote: »
    Sometimes I watch Larry Haun videos as a form of meditation.

That's the code!

Same here. I watched an awful lot of his videos when I started building my shed. He makes it all look so easy

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Here's my go-to non-US ones, although the US ones work well for most things I find. Plumbing and electrical is where I normally look for UK/IRL ones.

General (Cover pretty much everything DIY related including tool reviews etc.)
    SkillBuilder
    DIY Doctor
    Ultimate Handiman

Plumbing
    PlumberParts

Dereton33

Electrical - Note, I mainly use these to improve my understanding of how electricity works in my home and in no-way recommend/endorse doing anything you're not qualified to do or comfortable doing even if it doesn't require an electrician.

John Ward

GSH Electrical

Brickwork
    Rob Songer

Project-Type - Follow a couple as they complete a massive project involving lots of DIY activities

The Restoration Couple

Happy DIY'ing and going down a rabbit hole of finding projects you hadn't even considered doing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

The Crafty is my damn favourite DIY facebook page and they also run a Youtube channel. DIY Corner is also a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Idioteque wrote: »
    Here's my go-to non-US ones, although the US ones work well for most things I find. Plumbing and electrical is where I normally look for UK/IRL ones.

General (Cover pretty much everything DIY related including tool reviews etc.)
    SkillBuilder
    DIY Doctor
    Ultimate Handiman

Plumbing
    PlumberParts

Dereton33

Electrical - Note, I mainly use these to improve my understanding of how electricity works in my home and in no-way recommend/endorse doing anything you're not qualified to do or comfortable doing even if it doesn't require an electrician.

John Ward

GSH Electrical

Brickwork
    Rob Songer

Project-Type - Follow a couple as they complete a massive project involving lots of DIY activities

The Restoration Couple

Happy DIY'ing and going down a rabbit hole of finding projects you hadn't even considered doing :D
    I've looked up these for the last few years. Great advice by all in the list.

I found Charles Dowding's channel for gardening --- really like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

I use AskMeDIY - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMqBEHMJkdsyICgJ6BkgLHQ

Find him very good for plastering and tiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

PB Plumbing, Thomas Nagy and My Trusted Electrician all post some useful videos

• Advertisement
Advertisement