Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EVs and charging when it's raining

Options
  • 12-01-2019 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,738 ✭✭✭✭

Just downloaded an owners manual for the Renault Zoe.

It says "Do not wash the car whilst it is charging" (risk of Electrocution)

But then I am thinking, what if you are charging the car on street charging point and its raining?

Also what if it is teeming down with lashing rain and you have to charge the car , could the water get inside the socket where the flap is at the front and you could get electrocuted plugging the charging plug with wet hands? - I noticed it said in the instruction manual wipe away any snow if it has collected around the socket :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ning

Never had any issue charging the Zoe with lashing rain in winter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just downloaded an owners manual for the Renault Zoe.

It says "Do not wash the car whilst it is charging" (risk of Electrocution)

But then I am thinking, what if you are charging the car on street charging point and its raining?

Also what if it is teeming down with lashing rain and you have to charge the car , could the water get inside the socket where the flap is at the front and you could get electrocuted plugging the charging plug with wet hands? - I noticed it said in the instruction manual wipe away any snow if it has collected around the socket :eek:

There’s a difference between raining and washing your car.
    Raining, even during a down pour is sporadic drops of water, washing is a constant flood of water.

I wouldn’t worry about it, infact I’d even go as far as saying that you can wash it while charging but the warning has to be out there, similar to the McDonald’s coffee hot contents warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I've never heard of anyone being electrocuted by an EV, charging or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,738 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

what voltage comes down the lead when its charging. the Traction batteries are 480v arent they? - so theres not 480v comes down the granny cable is it? - and if so would that be AC or DC?

Also noted as I was reading the instruction manual it said there was also a 12v battery for lights wipers etc .. I was surprised at this but glad in a kind of way that the lights and auxiliary circuits dont take power from the traction batteries.

How does the 12v DC battery get charged is it from the braking or is the braking charge just for the traction batteries?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭KCross

How does the 12v DC battery get charged is it from the braking or is the braking charge just for the traction batteries?

Regen goes to the traction battery.
    The traction battery charges the 12V.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Water + electricity = deadly buzz!

KCross wrote: »
    Regen goes to the traction battery.
    The traction battery charges the 12V.

ah right thanks. that seems a bit unusual though I would have thought all the charge / energy would have been kept for the traction battery and not a part of it used to charge the 12v battery

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ah right thanks. that seems a bit unusual though I would have thought all the charge / energy would have been kept for the traction battery and not a part of it used to charge the 12v battery

Well, if the 12V goes low what do you do then?! ;)

There is no alternator driven by an engine in an EV so the charge for the 12V has to come from somewhere!

The 12V is also charged up when the car is plugged in but the way it typically works is the traction battery charges the 12V and the traction battery is then topped up.

The 12V doesnt take alot of energy to charge up anyway in the context of the capacity of the traction battery so its not an issue.

KCross wrote: »
    Well, if the 12V goes low what do you do then?! ;)

There is no alternator driven by an engine in an EV so the charge for the 12V has to come from somewhere!

The 12V is also charged up when the car is plugged in but the way it typically works is the traction battery charges the 12V and the traction battery is then topped up.

The 12V doesnt take alot of energy to charge up anyway in the context of the capacity of the traction battery so its not an issue.

true

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

what voltage comes down the lead when its charging. the Traction batteries are 480v arent they? - so theres not 480v comes down the granny cable is it? - and if so would that be AC or DC?

?

Nominal 350-400V DC, for most. Egolf is 300-350, ipace is 400-450.

What comes down the lead when it's charging is kindof a "how long is a piece of string" question. Here are some main ones.

Granny cable - 210-230v depending on the voltage at your house (and I've seen huge deviations in different regions)
    AC "slow" charging - can be 220v or can be 400V if charging at 3 phase (Zoe, Tesla) (Other cars like i3 support 3 phase but not 32A)

DC fast charging - Generally matches the voltage of the battery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement