Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assessable Spouse Election Form

Options
  • 11-01-2019 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

I added medical insurance tax credits for myself and family last year via Revenue's myAccount website.

I logged in again today and noticed they messaged me asking that I fill out and submit an "Assessable Spouse Election Form" since I mentioned that I was married.

One of us earns about 70k and the other 40k, both work full time.
    I assume we are been assessed individually currently.

Is there any benefits to selecting other options?
    Does it matter who the assessable spouse is?

470084.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

rodge123 wrote: »
    I added medical insurance tax credits for myself and family last year via Revenue's myAccount website.

I logged in again today and noticed they messaged me asking that I fill out and submit an "Assessable Spouse Election Form" since I mentioned that I was married.

One of us earns about 70k and the other 40k, both work full time.
    I assume we are been assessed individually currently.

Is there any benefits to selecting other options?
    Does it matter who the assessable spouse is?

470084.png

At that level of earnings both of you are currently using up your rate bands and credits already vso there's no benefit currently to you. Opting for joint assessment could however benefit you in the future if one of the income streams dropped for whatever reason. It's a toss of a coin for the assessable spouse. Usually it's the higher earner when one n eds to be chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 yeomkw

Where can I submit "assessable spouse election form" to ?
    No one tells about this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

yeomkw wrote: »
    Where can I submit "assessable spouse election form" to ?
    No one tells about this :(

Submit to the tax district on your tax credit cert. alternatively put your ppsn into revenues contact locator on their website and it will give you the appropriate postal address. You can also scan and attach it to a message in MyEnquiries on ROS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 yeomkw

Thanks~!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

@Stratvs would you mind posting a link to revenues contact locator? Looking for the email address for sending the *assessable spouse election form* form to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

There is no email address. Just send the form as an attachment in a MyEnquiry from your Revenue MyAccount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Got the email address, just needed to ask them nicely & they were very helpful. Doh, no I didn't, that was something different. :)

Advertisement