Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

John Joe Nevin

• 09-01-2019 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

Just seen an article online earlier suggesting that JJN should fight Stephen Smith. Apparently according to Boxing-Ireland.com he will fight in America on DAZN card and the article suggests SS as an opponent. It got me thinking how bad of a career he's had since turning pro. He hasn't had one decent opponent, he hasn't shown he is at the elite level or has any power what so ever. Considering he has an Olympic Silver and European Gold where has it gone wrong for him? His opponent in the Final of the 2012 Olympics Luke Campbell (Who hasn't had a perfect pro career imo) wipes the floor with him for achievement in the Pro game. Will he ever make the big time? He clearly has an issue with Alcohol, which can't be helping him. I think he could of built a career in Ireland after Bernard Dunne retired, there was an opportunity to take his spot, I know there was a 3 year gap but there was an appetite for boxing. Maybe he should have remained Amateur as it suited him to have the High Performance team watching his every move.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

PLOPS wrote: »
    Just seen an article online earlier suggesting that JJN should fight Stephen Smith. Apparently according to Boxing-Ireland.com he will fight in America on DAZN card and the article suggests SS as an opponent. It got me thinking how bad of a career he's had since turning pro. He hasn't had one decent opponent, he hasn't shown he is at the elite level or has any power what so ever. Considering he has an Olympic Silver and European Gold where has it gone wrong for him? His opponent in the Final of the 2012 Olympics Luke Campbell (Who hasn't had a perfect pro career imo) wipes the floor with him for achievement in the Pro game. Will he ever make the big time? He clearly has an issue with Alcohol, which can't be helping him. I think he could of built a career in Ireland after Bernard Dunne retired, there was an opportunity to take his spot, I know there was a 3 year gap but there was an appetite for boxing. Maybe he should have remained Amateur as it suited him to have the High Performance team watching his every move.

JJN was very impressive in the amateurs. Pro career has been a disaster & he has nobody to blame but himself. A series of very poor choices since turning pro has left him where he is today. Not much else to say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Big Joe’s Joe should fight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭weemcd

pac_man wrote: »
    I always feel a bit sorry for Nevin when his name props up. Way too talented for the way his career has panned out.

Can you see him doing much in the pro game at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Great read there and the fact that his contemporaries have moved on spectacularly must sting. Honestly felt sorry for him in Philly watching him enter the ring at 12.15.

But he still has a bit of time as he doesn't have too many miles on the clock but will need the right circumstances to challenge for a belt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

His record is good, is it just bad promotion or what's the reason for the lack of progression.

pac_man wrote: »
    I'd love to see him do well but I'm starting to lose faith to be honest. I don't think he's cemented a style and that doesn't help when you look at his training arrangements. He spends a couple of weeks with Jim Mcdonnell and then goes to Philadelphia. It just seems a bit odd.

The Nevin in the amateurs was a really good counterpuncher with great timing. I've not really seen that in the pro's. What do you think?

I've seen very little of him in recent years, the lifestyle problems and the injuries he had to both legs would lead me to think he'd be in trouble once he steps up a level or two in competition. I'd gladly be wrong though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

weemcd wrote: »
    I've seen very little of him in recent years, the lifestyle problems and the injuries he had to both legs would lead me to think he'd be in trouble once he steps up a level or two in competition. I'd gladly be wrong though...

It's what happens when you try to bate your cousint but he hates you first with the clubs that you brought to bate him with.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's too late him fow now to get to the top level. It must be very hard to take when he sees how Campbell is doing. It's hard not to feel sorry for him, even if a lot ofit is his own doing,

Advertisement