Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inis Cathaigh Hotel Kilrush

Options
  • 09-01-2019 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Just heard within the last day that the former Inis Cathaigh hotel in Kilrush went on fire. Investigations as to what caused it are still ongoing.

Anyone familiar with the area know the history of the place? I have seen mentions online of a dancehall, later a nightclub once being there.

When did it close down?

Were there ever any subsequent plans for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Seemingly a few drug addicts were squatting in there in the quiet recently. It's closed for about 15-20 years at this stage. The night club, Champers was popular for a few years. The hotel bar was ok too back in its day. It had been owned by some foreign man, I can't think of his name now. German or Dutch as far as I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Dacia1300

finbarrk wrote: »
    Seemingly a few drug addicts were squatting in there in the quiet recently.

Yes, I was well aware of its recent association with drug usage, I'll say no more about that one...
    It's closed for about 15-20 years at this stage.

I was trying to remember the exact year that it closed. 2001 is stuck in my head for some reason but I could be wrong on that. Either way, yes, close enough on 20 years now...
    The night club, Champers was popular for a few years. The hotel bar was ok too back in its day. It had been owned by some foreign man, I can't think of his name now. German or Dutch as far as I remember.

I recall hearing about it being sold, must have been about 10 years ago now. I was surprised that nothing at all was done with it. I've been on Clare CoCo's planning website & can't find any evidence of plans submitted for it, which strikes me as very strange...

Such a shame about the fire. Did anyone on here see the extent of the damage? I have only seen pictures online with the fire brigade attending which were taken in the dark

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭finbarrk

It was the second floor windows that the flames were coming out of. This is previous to the fire from google maps. It's all boarded up newly again now.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6367493,-9.4879,3a,75y,358.35h,83.67t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGRMjDUSJwcj3MQF7AAZAnA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Dacia1300 wrote: »
    Yes, I was well aware of its recent association with drug usage, I'll say no more about that one...

Recent?

The hotel was in a very very poor state internally before the fire, internal floors and stairs had collapsed downwards, a number of small fires through the years had already occurred, I would not like to see how it is now. Hopefully it's knocked and they make something of the place.

Rough sleepers in the center of the town all the time with severe drug issues is not good and really destroys the name of the town. At least in cities and large towns they actively deal and engage with the unfortunate like that, here it's brushed over to the extent where you witness drug dealing in the town center. A town with the population of Kilrush has the social issues you could expect of a much larger urban area.

The only words for it is that it's a shame. You wouldn't want to hear many of the locals opinions on the fire if you're easily offended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Does it still belong to convicted criminal Anthony Kelly?

The council had planned to buy it off him for €1.4m at one point!

• Advertisement
Advertisement