Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavity wall pumped insulation Beads or foam

Options
  • 09-01-2019 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

We purchased a house recently. It was built in 2006 and is dry lined with an insulated slab. We have noticed it heats up quickly and loses the heat quickly. Also when I was changing some sockets I noticed a lot of drafts.

We are thinking of pumping the cavity with either beads or foam. There is a big price difference nearly double for the foam.

What are the pros on cons of beads and foam. Can anyone recommend the best solution.

Thanks,

Kevin

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Is there any chance, it’s timber frame and not block ?

Assuming it is block/cavity/block - is the any existing insulation in the cavity? Foam products may not be suitable if that’s the case

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AlertKevin

Definitely block. We had to bore a hole for a vent and this confirmed it was a cavity with no insulation in it.

Why would foam not be suited?

Thanks,

Kevin

Review fine print of product certification

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There are several different foams on the market but none of them is NSAI certified for this application.

So the question "Why would foam not be suited?" is best answered "because they haven't proven to be suitable through the NSAI certification process".

Search previous threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AlertKevin

Thanks.

These companies are saying they are certified. How do I confirm they are on the NSAI list?

-snip-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

AlertKevin wrote: »
    How do I confirm they are on the NSAI list?

Ask the manufacturer for the certificate number that applies to your application (i.e. masonry cavity insulation) and find the cert here:

https://www.nsai.ie/certification/agrement-certification/search-agrements-certificates/

You can also search by product name.

NSAI certification is application specific! As BryanF says, read the small print of the cert.

Neither of those are for a masonry cavity

Advertisement