Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum requirements for burglar alarm system installation

Options
  • 09-01-2019 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

I'm getting quotes for installing new burglar alarm and I want to know what the minimum/standard sensors, if such a list exists?

Mainly the part Im trying to identify is there a minimum amount of PIR sensors to be fitted? I know obviously to fit sensors to entrance doors and ground floor windows but whats the minimum for Pir's?

Some installers are saying minimum of one Pir and others are saying a minimum of 2 Pir sensors. I've asked them for Psa info but they give vague, roundabout answers.

I've searched PSA and standards site but it lists that the compononts/sensors have to be up to the EN 50131 spec.

If anyone can give a straight answer on here, I'd much appreciate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭altor

I'm getting quotes for installing new burglar alarm and I want to know what the minimum/standard sensors, if such a list exists?

Mainly the part Im trying to identify is there a minimum amount of PIR sensors to be fitted? I know obviously to fit sensors to entrance doors and ground floor windows but whats the minimum for Pir's?

Some installers are saying minimum of one Pir and others are saying a minimum of 2 Pir sensors. I've asked them for Psa info but they give vague, roundabout answers.

I've searched PSA and standards site but it lists that the compononts/sensors have to be up to the EN 50131 spec.

The minimum PIRs you can have is zero, this should all be covered in the risk assessment of a property which is where EN50131 comes into it.

PIRs are used as a back up to any system, in some cases companys will just install PIRs but the down side to this is an intruder is in your home before they activate.
    Even night time setting of the alarm some PIRs will be turned off for access around the property.
    Perimeter protection with back up of PIRs is the way to go but once advised of the down side to both systems the customer has the end say in what is installed.

Having PIRs is different areas is advised as extra cover to perimeter protection, hall and landing are the main areas covered but can be placed in different areas also.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭embracingLife

altor wrote: »
    The minimum PIRs you can have is zero, this should all be covered in the risk assessment of a property which is where EN50131 comes into it.

PIRs are used as a back up to any system, in some cases companys will just install PIRs but the down side to this is an intruder is in your home before they activate.
    Even night time setting of the alarm some PIRs will be turned off for access around the property.
    Perimeter protection with back up of PIRs is the way to go but once advised of the down side to both systems the customer has the end say in what is installed.

Having PIRs is different areas is advised as extra cover to perimeter protection, hall and landing are the main areas covered but can be placed in different areas also.

Thanks very much, very helpful. So basically, the installers were giving me sales spiel etc. But thanks for giving me thorough explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭altor

Thanks very much, very helpful. So basically, the installers were giving me sales spiel etc. But thanks for giving me thorough explanation.

Thats no problem.

I wouldn't say a sales pitch as installers we are here to advise, if a customer decides not to have something installed that is up to them and should be noted on the as fitted spec. Customers make the final call.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I've searched PSA and standards site but it lists that the components/sensors have to be up to the EN 50131 spec.

The answer sometimes depends on what a particular company wants to sell you.
    The basic ones will try tell you PIRs are all you need & window sensors cause false alarms because they want to sell you their system.
    Others will try tell you window contacts alone are best & then a couple of PiRs.

I'm not here to sell you anything and I'm not trying to promote any particular system . But here is the common sense of it.

If you have only PiRs (or PiRs & a door) the burglar is going to be able to actually gain access into your house before the alarm even activates. By then the damage is done. The burglar has done the hard bit. He's not going to leave empty handed now.
    If you have only contacts it pretty much the same. The alarm will only activate after the window or door has been opened, The burglar could smash a window & the alarm still wont activate.
    I would also never recommend a system without any PiRs. There should always be a back up & a verification that there is someone in the property.
    The ideal minimum would be shock sensors & contacts on all ground floor & accessible points of entry. After that PiR in Hallway/Landing & open areas like conservatory.
    With this set up you will get an activation as soon as a burglar attempts to force a window or door. If they still proceed to gain entry you will get the alarm verified by the internal PiRs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

KoolKid wrote: »
    The answer sometimes depends on what a particular company wants to sell you.
    The basic ones will try tell you PIRs are all you need & window sensors cause false alarms because they want to sell you their system.
    Others will try tell you window contacts alone are best & then a couple of PiRs.

I'm not here to sell you anything and I'm not trying to promote any particular system . But here is the common sense of it.

If you have only PiRs (or PiRs & a door) the burglar is going to be able to actually gain access into your house before the alarm even activates. By then the damage is done. The burglar has done the hard bit. He's not going to leave empty handed now.
    If you have only contacts it pretty much the same. The alarm will only activate after the window or door has been opened, The burglar could smash a window & the alarm still wont activate.
    I would also never recommend a system without any PiRs. There should always be a back up & a verification that there is someone in the property.
    The ideal minimum would be shock sensors & contacts on all ground floor & accessible points of entry. After that PiR in Hallway/Landing & open areas like conservatory.
    With this set up you will get an activation as soon as a burglar attempts to force a window or door. If they still proceed to gain entry you will get the alarm verified by the internal PiRs.

Thanks.
    You are right on all 360 degrees... and the 4 dimensions !

470078.jpg

470079.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement