Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural Kilkenny Broadband Help

Options
  • 09-01-2019 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi,

I checked the boards already but threads seemed a bit dated or restricted to a specific area that isn't located near enough to what I want to know.

I will be moving to a rural area outside of Castlecomer (selfbuild) and I am having difficulty finding out what type of ISP I can get. I would be looking to work from home the majority of the week which would require to run `zoom` video conferencing at the minimum.

I used bonkers.ie and chanced ringing Pure Telecom as they came up on the results page but only found out they can't provide broadband at all to the location (interesting result page). I checked EIRs' page and it reckoned it will provide up to 1Mbs but still get the luxury of paying for a package up to 24mbs. So I thought my best option was to come here :)

I have also heard about having Broadband come from some ESB pole (SIRO?) and with a new ESB installation going in to supply 16kva I would hope this will enable this possibility? Is anyone here in a similar location with a strong and stable location?

I guess for me to do my work I would require 10Mbs during the work day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 guyinkk

Hi there...

I found myself in similar situation a few years ago having moved from a long stint abroad to semi rural KK. I am lucky to be close enough to an Imagine mast, where I get an ok service but before signing up to that service I used the following tools to do some research.

The Ireland Offline Map should give an indication to what Wireless ISP's service your area. As I'm a new user I can't post links... but google irelandoffline map and you'll find it.

Failing that have a look at the Comreg site that shows what mobile masts are closest to your new house. This will help you determine which of Three, Vodafone or EIR etc can best offer a service to your location. (Try to google sitemap and comreg).

I also used an online mapping tool to help determine if you have line of sight from a mast to your house. (Google solwise wireless evaluation tool). Not sure if this is accurate or not tbh but this helped me determine where in my house to best place my lte router when I was using Three as my provider way back.

Hopefully there's something there that will help in your search.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

verizon wrote: »
    Hi,

I checked the boards already but threads seemed a bit dated or restricted to a specific area that isn't located near enough to what I want to know.

I will be moving to a rural area outside of Castlecomer (selfbuild) and I am having difficulty finding out what type of ISP I can get. I would be looking to work from home the majority of the week which would require to run `zoom` video conferencing at the minimum.

Check if your house is on the Eir rural fibre-to-the-home FTTH programme. www.fibrerollout.ie The programme is due to complete over the next few months and includes the hinterland around Castlecomer. Each individual house to be included is shown on the map. If you are not on this programme, you should seriously consider choosing an alternative site that is nearer to Castlecomer. (By the way - ESB dont do rural broadband - only big towns)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Laois John

Hello there, did you try Aptus? Not sure if they cover your area but I get it on Laois/Kilkenny border not too far from Castlecomer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Ireland Offline have a decent map, that gives you a good idea of what fixed wireless services are available: https://irelandoffline.org/map/#!/map

You can also check, if your premise is available for fibre: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ ...

- if it is in a green shaded area, you should be able to get VDSL (aka eFibre)
    - if it has a blue or green house, then there is a good change you can get FTTH

So .. if you're listed on that map, then you can check on Airwire's website, if it's live http://www.airwire.ie/avail

/M

Advertisement