Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for TV options (no dish, no VM, no eir)

Options
  • 09-01-2019 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi,

We recently moved to a place where VM is not available as a TV service. We tried eir, but it was a terrible experience (with the company, not the TV quality), so we dropped them. Also, putting up a dish is not currently an option.

What are our (legal, paid) options here? I know there are things like Netflix for tv shows, but we'd also like to see live stuff like 6 Nations Rugby etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Vodafone TV may be an option depending on your broadband speed.

Can you receive a SaorView signal? This would give you the Irish channels without the need for a subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭TheRover

ShaneOC wrote: »
    Vodafone TV may be an option depending on your broadband speed.

Can you receive a SaorView signal? This would give you the Irish channels without the need for a subscription.

We have no aerial either - that is a requirement for SaorView, right? Also, our TV does not support it.

Vodafone only seems to sell TV with broadband, not separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

TheRover wrote: »
    We have no aerial either - that is a requirement for SaorView, right? Also, our TV does not support it.

Vodafone only seems to sell TV with broadband, not separately.

Get a new smart TV for on get one with both TV and Satellite tuner. Depending on where you are you could pick up the irish TV channels with an indoor aerial

Also you can hidden or get a flat satellite dish, google for hidden satellite dish or flat satellite dish

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Clitheroekid

Look up transponder tv an online service which offers all British free to air tv for reasonable cost depending on bronze silver or gold option

Look up transponder tv an online service which offers all British free to air tv for reasonable cost depending on bronze silver or gold option

Is that like iBox? Does it work well in Ireland?

How legal are those services really? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Clitheroekid

Its all legal and provider is quite happy to serve ROI customers.Just log in to Transponder tv and read terms and conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Its all legal and provider is quite happy to serve ROI customers.Just log in to Transponder tv and read terms and conditions.

Can you explain exactly what this means?
    We provide the means for individuals to access their own reception equipment for the purpose of watching their own privately delivered content by means of placeshifting.

It reads to me that a user of the service must have reception equipment in the UK to enable them to provide the same service ex-territory.
    In other words very suitable for Brits staying abroad for long periods.

Did I misunderstand it?

EDIT:

It might seem that they provide 'virtual hardware' allocated to the user which could be understood to mean the user's "reception equipment".
    Maybe that is how this is done?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I’ve take a look at the site mentioned and the method they are apparently using. I am *not* happy to allow further discussion based on what I’ve read.

I will leave the thread open on the basis that discussion resumes as if all the posts after #4 were not there. If that not adhered to the thread will be closed and posters banned

icdg wrote: »
    I’ve take a look at the site mentioned and the method they are apparently using. I am *not* happy to allow further discussion based on what I’ve read.

I will leave the thread open on the basis that discussion resumes as if all the posts after #4 were not there. If that not adhered to the thread will be closed and posters banned

Is there an easy, clear cut way to find if a company is providing a legal TV channel service?
    I understand that those websites offering thousands of channels are surely illegal, but I always wonder that if these services "only" offering 50 channels or so are also illegal.

Going back to topic, I'm interested in a legal, paid, TV service I can use through my broadband. I'd find it surreal if there wasn't a single one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is there an easy, clear cut way to find if a company is providing a legal TV channel service?
    I understand that those websites offering thousands of channels are surely illegal, but I always wonder that if these services "only" offering 50 channels or so are also illegal.

Going back to topic, I'm interested in a legal, paid, TV service I can use through my broadband. I'd find it surreal if there wasn't a single one.

If I remember correctly what I read some time ago, there was a situation for British TV Licence holders, that if they used their home equipment they could legally watch all their British channels regardless where they were by streaming from their equipment over the internet.

I might be mis-remembering .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

Have you looked at nowtv? You'll get some UK channels on it, not all though.

SteM wrote: »
    Have you looked at nowtv? You'll get some UK channels on it, not all though.

I looked on their website but couldn't find any reference to UK channels being included: https://www.nowtv.com/ie/about/faqs

And yes, that'd be an option for me as long as I could get a channel with 6 nations rugby like bbc sports or itv sports (I don't think there will be rugby on sky sports)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The linear channels included* on Now TV are all cable/satellite channels, mostly operated by Sky or Viacom.

*When i day “included” I mean “on purchase of the appropriate Pass”.

No Six Nations that way - though you can get that on Saorview through VMTV. (There is still rugby on Sky, but mostly from south of the equator). I hear what you say about an aerial. You might be able to purchase a rabbits ears and Saorview stv (try someone else’s first to see if it works) or alternatively you can stream it from the VMTV website.

Advertisement