Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I do ??????

Options
  • 09-01-2019 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I was new to motorcycling early last year 2018 and I was involved in a bad accident, wasn’t my fault another driver cut across my path, bike was a right off, should I let this ruin motorcycling for me ??? and to any bikers out there that could help me with an answear to see if I could of avoided this collision, Here is a brief description of what happend, I was driving down the road nothing in front or behind me when a car came out from the left side driving forward, as I was approaching the car I closed the throttle and started to press front brake then the rear with my right foot, as I got closer the driver of the car had stopped at the edge of the footpath/road and I could see the driver looking at me, so I went back onto the throttle easy and before my eyes the driver shot out in front of me making me lock up the bike and slamming into the car, could I have done anything else to avoid this collision ??? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Get a car............:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jojo282820

Get a car............:rolleyes:

I also drive a car aswell the bike was for traffic reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yes you could have slowed right down. There's an oul saying better to be safe and alive than in the right and dead .

Its a philosophy that I stand by.

Trust no other idiots on the road many would think nothing of hitting you panicking and driving off. Self preservation and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Jojo282820 wrote: »
    I was new to motorcycling early last year 2018 and I was involved in a bad accident, wasn’t my fault another driver cut across my path, bike was a right off, should I let this ruin motorcycling for me ??? and to any bikers out there that could help me with an answear to see if I could of avoided this collision, Here is a brief description of what happend, I was driving down the road nothing in front or behind me when a car came out from the left side driving forward, as I was approaching the car I closed the throttle and started to press front brake then the rear with my right foot, as I got closer the driver of the car had stopped at the edge of the footpath/road and I could see the driver looking at me, so I went back onto the throttle easy and before my eyes the driver shot out in front of me making me lock up the bike and slamming into the car, could I have done anything else to avoid this collision ??? Thank you.

I'm going to be a bit constructive and ask what type of licence you have ? Your accident could have easily been avoided and seeing as you're pretty new to the game I'd recommend more lessons.

If you're interested in biking and not just commuting I wouldn't let this put you off. If its just to save time to get to work quicker knock it on the head. It may not be for you.

D3V!L wrote: »
    I'm going to be a bit constructive and ask what type of licence you have ? Your accident could have easily been avoided and seeing as you're pretty new to the game I'd recommend more lessons.

If you're interested in biking and not just commuting I wouldn't let this put you off. If its just to save time to get to work quicker knock it on the head. It may not be for you.

Are you a biker your self ?

• Advertisement

Are you a biker your self ?

Yep, 20 years in all weathers and types of bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Car drivers dont look for bikes no matter how much you might think they did. He could have been looking right through you for all you now. Lessons will definitely help if you are going to keep going.
    Expect the unexpected on the road and assume because you're on 2 wheels, that you have an invisible cloak on.

GBX wrote: »
    Car drivers dont look for bikes no matter how much you might think they did. He could have been looking right through you for all you now. Lessons will definitely help if you are going to keep going.
    Expect the unexpected on the road and assume because you're on 2 wheels, that you have an invisible cloak on.

Spot on. :)

Its been proven that car drivers dont "see" bikes because for a couple of good reasons. One being the width of a bike. Ever hear a car driver say that "the bike came out of nowhere" ? Its because from a distance of about 100 meters the bike is near invisible until it gets really close, then all of a sudden it appears from nowhere.

https://motorbikewriter.com/scientific-studies-explain-smidsy/

OP, these are all lessons that need to be learned. Unfortunately you just passed the first one. Same thing happens to most of us starting off.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Training, training, and then some training.

In that particular instance, you could have moved your road position to the centre of the road to give a better perception of movement. (It a driver sees you coming straight towards them they cannot judge speed, if you are coming at an angle, you are more noticeable.)

Have a look at the training videos on YouTube, e.g. Fortnine, MCRider etc.

And then constant learning.
    (Riding for 35 yrs, past motorcycle instructor)

I wouldn't let it stop you, just learn from it and keep improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

Also high viz helmet and jacket. It's often been commented that I stand out in the distance and people's mirrors. That's the look i'm going for.

Collisions like the OP's are unfortunately all too common. anticipate the hazards and always expect that vehicke up ahead to do something stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

I was approaching the car I closed the throttle and started to press front brake then the rear with my right foot, as I got closer the driver of the car had stopped at the edge of the footpath/road and I could see the driver looking at me, so I went back onto the throttle easy and before my eyes the driver shot out in front

Driver probably thought you were slowing down to let him out.

be more confident in your driving and positioning, move to the center to give space and aid in him seeing you and maintain your speed if you have the right of way, but be prepared to take action if he does something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

When I was 19 I got hit by a driver going the wrong way down a one way street. I came right off the bike and rolled over the top of his car.

I ended up in hospital for a few weeks with some broken ribs, a concussion and a few other issues.

The day I was leaving the hospital I asked my mum to ride the bike to the hospital so I could ride it home, and I bloody well did. Admittedly I was in agony the whole time.

I continued to ride until I was 21 without any more incidents.

I'm 34 now and back on the bike for 2 years and I ride it every single day. Accidents can and will happen, but the key is to be aware of your surroundings, assume other drivers are stupid and don't ride like a complete idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

OP, as has been mentioned, visibility is key, i'm back on the bike in recent months after being off it for a long time, first thing i did when buying the bike was i bought a hi viz helmet & hi-viz vest and jacket, admittedly i've had a few hairy moments, we all have, but the fact i had the hi viz gear definitely helped, i'll never ride without it.

Added to that i put 50% brighter bulbs on my bike and always have even though they are always on automatically on.

Just put it down to experience and always get back on the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Lots of good advice here. Changing road position will help.

Do you wear hi viz? Were you wearing your L vest? There's no doubt it helps, drivers move over for me all the time when I'm in hi viz so they even see me in their mirrors, shocker, I look like I got dressed in the dark at this stage. I've had a few smidsy's.

Just to add, you observed the potential hazard and you looked at the driver and thought he saw you, look at the front wheel for movement not the drivers face. I've had drivers look straight at me and pull out plenty of times.

I've had a few off's and I've tried to learn from them and would recommend to get back on the bike when you're ready, the sooner the better or you might over think it. Your confidence could take a knock of course, my first off had me rattled for a while as I just lost the front on a roundabout and had no idea why, probably diesel.

I want to thank all of you for the comments I really appreciate it, the time of the accident I had my hi-vis vest on, my helmet was more yellow than black, and my lights were on the bike as they came on automatic, my position in the road was dead centre in lane, and when I realised the car was coming out i had the distance of a saloon car for example modeo/passet to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Well, the driver was 100% in the wrong. Everyone has incidents that lead them to be better riders and 99.9% of them don't lead to accidents. You were unlucky here. After I came off a bike, (passing a van turning left, a car came out of the same road cos they couldn't see me as I was hidden by the van) I really took it easy coming up to cross roads thinking the car might just pull straight out again. Takes a while to get back into it! I would if I were you, but it all depends on if you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

D3V!L wrote: »
    Spot on. :)

Its been proven that car drivers dont "see" bikes because for a couple of good reasons. One being the width of a bike. Ever hear a car driver say that "the bike came out of nowhere" ? Its because from a distance of about 100 meters the bike is near invisible until it gets really close, then all of a sudden it appears from nowhere.

https://motorbikewriter.com/scientific-studies-explain-smidsy/

OP, these are all lessons that need to be learned. Unfortunately you just passed the first one. Same thing happens to most of us starting off.

When driving, your eyes focus only on the space of a 50c coin or around that amount.

Best advice trust no one on the road. Never also let your experience get the better of you, keep the guard up. Constant learning you never know it all.

Advertisement