Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermatitis around eyes

Options
  • 08-01-2019 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

I’ve been getting dermatitis (I think!) around my eyes for the past 6ish months and my heart is broken trying to get rid of it. I’ve been to the doctor three times and he’s prescribed a steroid cream each time - it’s worked, but once I stop, I’m back to square one and I don’t want to be relying on it. I’ve been using La Roche Posay Soothing Repairing Balm to try and repair the barrier but nothing seems to stay working!
    I’ve stopped wearing makeup, changed moisturisers and cleansers, and I am running out of ideas :( is there anything else I can be doing to try and shift it?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Ive had a flare up recently on my eyelids. Was thinking it may be eye makeup I use but think it maybe the shampoo/conditioner I'm using (even though it's kerastese!)rinsing in the shower.
    The steroid cream has worked for me previously.
    So hard to find the source but you'll just have to keep trying.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaSophia

GaGa21 wrote: »
    Ive had a flare up recently on my eyelids. Was thinking it may be eye makeup I use but think it maybe the shampoo/conditioner I'm using (even though it's kerastese!)rinsing in the shower.
    The steroid cream has worked for me previously.
    So hard to find the source but you'll just have to keep trying.
    Best of luck.

I might try change to an SLS free shampoo and see if it helps, I’m willing to try anything at this stage! Thanks for your reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Siobhers

I had (what I think was) a dermatitis flare up also, followed by a nasty reaction to another cream that I used to try and fix it

The La Roche Posay Toleriane saved the day though! Brought down angry red swelling and cleared up the dry patches

https://www.boots.ie/la-roche-posay-toleriane-ultra-eye-contour-20ml-10189525

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

It's terrible when you get a skin condition out of know-where. A few years ago I moved from a soft water area to a hard water area and out of the blue I got like a red burn mark on my forehead, went the chemist and they didn't know what it was. Went to a local doctor and he told me to use simple cream, this irritated it more. I went to my old doctor in Dublin as I knew he specialized in skin conditions. He prescribed 'Hydrocortisyl 1%.'
    5 years later and I'm still using it. I don't have to use it every day, but if I don't use it for a week or so I can feel the itch. The cream does the job and no mark is noticeable anymore but I didn't want to use a steroid cream for the rest of my life on my face/forehead, but what can I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I've had a rash flare up around my lower eye lid in the last 2-3 months. I was sure it was makeup remover,
    then mascara,
    then eyeliner,
    then eye cream,
    then everything :(

I cut out everything and it was finally calming down.

then I has a huge flareup last Sunday. I think I have nailed it now though - Lager :eek:

I've always had a gluten intolerance, prone to dermatitis herpetiformis, but only on my ankles.

I'm thinking this is either an intolerance to the wheat or brewers yeast.

Have you considered a food diary, OP?

• Advertisement

Siobhers wrote: »
    I had (what I think was) a dermatitis flare up also, followed by a nasty reaction to another cream that I used to try and fix it

The La Roche Posay Toleriane saved the day though! Brought down angry red swelling and cleared up the dry patches

https://www.boots.ie/la-roche-posay-toleriane-ultra-eye-contour-20ml-10189525

I’ve been using the Cicaplast but I might try the eye cream! Thanks a mill.

It's terrible when you get a skin condition out of know-where. A few years ago I moved from a soft water area to a hard water area and out of the blue I got like a red burn mark on my forehead, went the chemist and they didn't know what it was. Went to a local doctor and he told me to use simple cream, this irritated it more. I went to my old doctor in Dublin as I knew he specialized in skin conditions. He prescribed 'Hydrocortisyl 1%.'
    5 years later and I'm still using it. I don't have to use it every day, but if I don't use it for a week or so I can feel the itch. The cream does the job and no mark is noticeable anymore but I didn't want to use a steroid cream for the rest of my life on my face/forehead, but what can I do.

That’s what I’m worried I’ll be doing as well, I’m already using one on and off for about six months. I thought it was from a sun cream I was using, so I stopped but it’s never been back to normal. It’s so annoying, I can’t remember the last time I wore a full face of makeup, and I miss it!

juke wrote: »
    I've had a rash flare up around my lower eye lid in the last 2-3 months. I was sure it was makeup remover,
    then mascara,
    then eyeliner,
    then eye cream,
    then everything :(

I cut out everything and it was finally calming down.

then I has a huge flareup last Sunday. I think I have nailed it now though - Lager :eek:

I've always had a gluten intolerance, prone to dermatitis herpetiformis, but only on my ankles.

I'm thinking this is either an intolerance to the wheat or brewers yeast.

Have you considered a food diary, OP?

Oh wow, I never thought of trying something like that. I assumed it was topical but I guess it could be something dietwise. Glad you can pinpoint it to something, must be such a relief!

AnnaSophia wrote: »
    That’s what I’m worried I’ll be doing as well, I’m already using one on and off for about six months. I thought it was from a sun cream I was using, so I stopped but it’s never been back to normal. It’s so annoying, I can’t remember the last time I wore a full face of makeup, and I miss it!

I really wish you luck AnnaSophia and if you ever do get to the bottom of it, please do post it here so I can do the same as you.

I thought it was some sort of cream that was doing it to me, like nivea but I stopped. I then tried lots of other creams like cetaphil which I got from Amazon and some others but no luck.

Where you're older it's crazy to think something like this can happen just out of the blue and no cure for it, but it can. Some doctor's have told me stop eating cheese and don't drink wine and stuff like that. I've tried it all.

As I said, good luck I hope you find something that works and if you do, please do post it :)

I really wish you luck AnnaSophia and if you ever do get to the bottom of it, please do post it here so I can do the same as you.

I thought it was some sort of cream that was doing it to me, like nivea but I stopped. I then tried lots of other creams like cetaphil which I got from Amazon and some others but no luck.

Where you're older it's crazy to think something like this can happen just out of the blue and no cure for it, but it can. Some doctor's have told me stop eating cheese and don't drink wine and stuff like that. I've tried it all.

As I said, good luck I hope you find something that works and if you do, please do post it :)

The doctor I went to said it would be impossible to narrow down what was causing it, so his focus was on repairing the skin so it wouldn’t come back, but that obviously isn’t working for me! I’ll keep trying and will definitely update if I find anything that works!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Lillysue99

Have you tried tea tree oil?

I had red, itchy eyelids that looked awful and would flare up regularly. I tried omitting creams, cleansers, all sorts. In the end what worked was tee tree in vit e oil, massaged around eyelids for 5 mins, then wash off properly.

Warning- it stings, but it was worth it, as it's gone now for the last month.
    Do not use more than 2 drops, as that's all you need and it will sting too much.

Did this twice daily for 2 weeks. Also threw out mascara.

Maybe a tea tree face wash would be easier to try first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

There's a brand called XBC that they do in Mr Price, I use the sulfate free charcoal shampoo, conditioner and face wash. Also the cocoa butter cream as moisturiser. Only €1.50 each but I find they help an awful lot. I have extremely bad psoriasis and have tried all sorts of products in every price range, prescription and non-prescription, I find these better than La Roche Prosay or MooGoo or any of the expensive ones.

I'm not gonna lie and say it's cured my psoriasis altogether, but it helps a lot with the day-to-day management.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭MisterKipling

I have peri-occular dermatitis. Have it for years. Flares up when I'm stressed or run down. I'm a social care worker and I get run down alot. Mine is very much localised to under eye and on eye lids. Takes a day or two to calm down. I don't use anything on my face and have tried every sort of diet change to no avail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

you should avoid using steroid creams on your face as it causes perioral dermatitis, a dry rash around the mouth. which is similar to periorbital dermatitis, the condition of rash around the eyes. unfortunately doctors either dont know pr downplay this side effect but it caused me to gain this condition 8 years ago and I still have it!

the best thing I've found is to put as little as possible on the skin. women find this hard as it means going without makeup but all i use is aveeno, anything else flares it up.

i also tried laroche and it was terrible for my skin, its loaded with harsh chemicals, and super expensive. tea tree/acv tried them also increased irritation for me.

Lillysue99 wrote: »
    Have you tried tea tree oil?

I had red, itchy eyelids that looked awful and would flare up regularly. I tried omitting creams, cleansers, all sorts. In the end what worked was tee tree in vit e oil, massaged around eyelids for 5 mins, then wash off properly.

Warning- it stings, but it was worth it, as it's gone now for the last month.
    Do not use more than 2 drops, as that's all you need and it will sting too much.

Did this twice daily for 2 weeks. Also threw out mascara.

Maybe a tea tree face wash would be easier to try first.

Interesting! I'm a bit wary of using something so strong around my eyes, but I am getting to the end of my tether so I might give it a go. Thanks for the reply!
    There's a brand called XBC that they do in Mr Price, I use the sulfate free charcoal shampoo, conditioner and face wash. Also the cocoa butter cream as moisturiser. Only €1.50 each but I find they help an awful lot. I have extremely bad psoriasis and have tried all sorts of products in every price range, prescription and non-prescription, I find these better than La Roche Prosay or MooGoo or any of the expensive ones.

I'm not gonna lie and say it's cured my psoriasis altogether, but it helps a lot with the day-to-day management.

I'll keep an eye out for it, I don't think there's a Mr Price near me but will ask at work if anyone is near one :) thanks!
    I have peri-occular dermatitis. Have it for years. Flares up when I'm stressed or run down. I'm a social care worker and I get run down alot. Mine is very much localised to under eye and on eye lids. Takes a day or two to calm down. I don't use anything on my face and have tried every sort of diet change to no avail.

Yeah I've been told stress might make this flare up, and yours sounds exactly like mine - hasn't spread to anywhere else on the face. It doesn't go away without the steroid cream in my case unfortunately, I thought it had over the last few days but it came back with a vengeance today. So frustrating!!
    you should avoid using steroid creams on your face as it causes perioral dermatitis, a dry rash around the mouth. which is similar to periorbital dermatitis, the condition of rash around the eyes. unfortunately doctors either dont know pr downplay this side effect but it caused me to gain this condition 8 years ago and I still have it!

the best thing I've found is to put as little as possible on the skin. women find this hard as it means going without makeup but all i use is aveeno, anything else flares it up.

i also tried laroche and it was terrible for my skin, its loaded with harsh chemicals, and super expensive. tea tree/acv tried them also increased irritation for me.

I did not know this about the perioral dermatitis, thanks for the heads up. Yeah that seems to be the only thing I can do at the minute, let the skin breathe but I love wearing makeup and am really missing it! I think I'm going to go back to the doctor this week and see if there's anything else I can try.

I wouldn't mind the post about 'don't use steroid cream on your face.' We don't have any choice but to use it. I've been using it now since about 2013 so 6 years. I wish I didn't have to use it, but in reality there is no other alternative. All the over the counter creams are useless and will more than likely irritate it.

Advertisement