Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Separation and childrens allowance

Options
  • 07-01-2019 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im a guy in my early 40's recently separated and currently going through an incredibly stressful mediation process with my ex wife, who cheated with another guy - and is now living with him. During the mediation process my ex calculated that there is a cost of approx €10,000 per year for the kids costs - so is looking for €5,000 per year from me to support the kids.

One large matter is the children's allowance, which my ex claims in full. This amounts to almost €7,000 per year, which is a good portion of that €10,000 cost in my eyes for this kids upbringing.

Should the children's allowance not be taken as a communal fund towards the kids upbringing - my ex seems to think she's solely entitled to it being the mother. Has anyone else been in a similar situation / shed any light on how the childrens allowance might be considered with maintenance payments?

Thanks

Advertisement