Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun nerds

Options
  • 07-01-2019 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Like many of us. I probably spend a wee bit too much time watching shooting channels on you tube. One thing i've noticed. The majority of the hosts of these channels are what most people would refer to as nerds. I love the channels i find them entertaining and informative but by God some of the hosts a dreary as hell. Probably the only 3 I wouldnt put in the nerd cage are Hickok 45 and James Reeves from TFB and Tim from military arms channel. Yankee Marshal was almost there but I couldnt forgive that tirade he went on after the Las Vegas shooting. Anyone got any idea's why the hobby seems to attract the gun version of train spotters and if any of you are aware of any Irish youtube shooting channels to compare and contrast.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

judestynes wrote: »
    Like many of us. I probably spend a wee bit too much time watching shooting channels on you tube. One thing i've noticed. The majority of the hosts of these channels are what most people would refer to as nerds. I love the channels i find them entertaining and informative but by God some of the hosts a dreary as hell. Probably the only 3 I wouldnt put in the nerd cage are Hickok 45 and James Reeves from TFB and Tim from military arms channel. Yankee Marshal was almost there but I couldnt forgive that tirade he went on after the Las Vegas shooting. Anyone got any idea's why the hobby seems to attract the gun version of train spotters and if any of you are aware of any Irish youtube shooting channels to compare and contrast.

You should make a video, and let us see how "not a nerd" you are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Hickok is the only guy I've ever watched more than once, he's so far away from the nerdy or obsessive ones, and so relaxed he's a real pleasure to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

Chiparus wrote: »
    You should make a video, and let us see how "not a nerd" you are.

Beware what you wish for. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

You have obviously never watched -

1. capandball [Dr Bálasz Nemeth - Hungarian national and international champion BP rifle and pistol shooter.]

2. Eric - iraqveteran888.

3. Rob - Britishmuzzleloaders - Rob replicates the Victorian rifleman - in full uniform - and often appears using himself as a rifle squad!

4. Bloke on the Range.

5. Murpheysmuskets

There are more, but right now I'm watching Rob acting out an attack by a Highlander rifle platoon...................

tac foley wrote: »
    You have obviously never watched -

1. capandball [Dr Bálasz Nemeth - Hungarian national and international champion BP rifle and pistol shooter.]

2. Eric - iraqveteran888.

3. Rob - Britishmuzzleloaders - Rob replicates the Victorian rifleman - in full uniform - and often appears using himself as a rifle squad!

4. Bloke on the Range.

5. Murpheysmuskets

There are more, but right now I'm watching Rob acting out an attack by a Highlander rifle platoon...................

I watch them all including tacfoley now aswell. Love Robs British muzzleloaders channel and Iraq veteran. I even like bloke on the range he's got all the charisma of a dose of herpes though. Not sayingvi dont like the channels just that most of the presenters are a bit nerdy thats all. Have watched video footage of myself giving presentations and the same so what is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Watched all of them from time to time, now I'm subscribed to just two.
    Capn'ball and Forgotten Weapons.

Hickok45 is entertaining, but if the target moves he's goosed!
    Watched him shooting at a pumpkin rolling down the garden about 20 feet away, and he couldn't hit it with a shotgun.
    Iraqveteran888 and others of that ilk come across as windbags and fantasies, who take 20 minutes to say 5 minutes worth of content!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

If you want the best of gun Nerds, just watch the sniper 101 series from start to finish. Its the best for learning the fundamentals of long range shooting. See you next year ;-)

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Watched all of them from time to time, now I'm subscribed to just two.
    Capn'ball and Forgotten Weapons.

Hickok45 is entertaining, but if the target moves he's goosed!
    Watched him shooting at a pumpkin rolling down the garden about 20 feet away, and he couldn't hit it with a shotgun.
    Iraqveteran888 and others of that ilk come across as windbags and fantasies, who take 20 minutes to say 5 minutes worth of content!

Eric, whom you dismiss so casually, is a decorated soldier veteran of the Second Gulf War. He has seen the elephant. No fantasist, him.

I watch them all including tacfoley now aswell. Love Robs British muzzleloaders channel and Iraq veteran. I even like bloke on the range he's got all the charisma of a dose of herpes though. Not sayingvi dont like the channels just that most of the presenters are a bit nerdy thats all. Have watched video footage of myself giving presentations and the same so what is it?

You're very brave to admit that you watch anything of mine! You'll note that I don't actually speak, though, so at least I can't be accused of 'windbaggery', plus my videos are usually very short, to say the least - just a couple of shots fired, often with unusual guns, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Demolition ranch is a good one

• Advertisement

Still no home grown suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭alanmc

What about our very own MRAD Outdoors? I've watched most of Pauls videos. Thoroughly enjoyed them. Whether they're nerdy or not, I don't know and frankly couldn't care less.

I quite like the more technical end of the Youtube channels anyway. I love watching 8541 Tactical by John McQuay. I guess this channel could be considered nerdy. But only because it delves deep into the mechanics and physics of shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Ian McCollum from the Forgotten weapons channel I find very informative more of a historian than just a gun nerd though.
    You may accuse him of windbaggery too but all the information he gives is factual and entertaining aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Deuce and guns is not bad also like SRS power,also their is another American called I think Paul Harrell or something,grey haired dude he has some great one liners that makes me laugh because he says them so seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

I cannot believe that no one has mentioned “Paul Harrell” yet, this is one of the most well written, scripted and very funny (in my opinion), gun channels on you tube - check it out.
    Very tounge in cheek :-) but serious at the same time, he could nearly be Irish...

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

jb88 wrote: »
    If you want the best of gun Nerds, just watch the sniper 101 series from start to finish. Its the best for learning the fundamentals of long range shooting. See you next year ;-)

Just watched a few of them there now, very good all right.

dc99 wrote: »
    I cannot believe that no one has mentioned “Paul Harrell” yet, this is one of the most well written, scripted and very funny (in my opinion), gun channels on you tube - check it out.
    Very tounge in cheek :-) but serious at the same time, he could nearly be Irish...

Paul Harrell. Larry Vikkers and some other dude USMC something. These guys take themselves far too seriously. They're all just about killing someone. Just American channels for American viewers. Used to love FPS Russia but he's gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

USOG does great reviews and discussions on prestigious firearms, very relaxing to watch..

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cosieman

Paul Harrell. Larry Vikkers and some other dude USMC something. These guys take themselves far too seriously. They're all just about killing someone. Just American channels for American viewers. Used to love FPS Russia but he's gone now.

Paul Harrell Actually did kill someone.

Advertisement