Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condensation /Mould issue...

Options
  • 07-01-2019 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi.
    I have a condensation issue on a Velux window in a dormer bedroom which is becoming more and more of an issue.

The house is about 20 years old and its McInnerney built timber frame house. The velux is in a recessed into a little alcove which is approx 1m by 1m and 1m deep. Every morning the window pane is soaking and there's now mold growing on the inside of the alcove -and on the window frame.

I've noticed that there are no ventilation vents in the room at all (there are in all other rooms), there are two small vents on the velux window frame but these make no difference.

Any advice, please? If I cut a hole in the plasterboard and add two vents either side of the window (on the recessed alcove) would this work? The moist air would then be escaping into the roof/attic space - or is this likely to cause further problems?

Thanks in advance folks. It's a child's room so I need it resolved as soon as I can.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

hamguy wrote: »
    Hi.
    I have a condensation issue on a Velux window in a dormer bedroom which is becoming more and more of an issue.

The house is about 20 years old and its McInnerney built timber frame house. The velux is in a recessed into a little alcove which is approx 1m by 1m and 1m deep. Every morning the window pane is soaking and there's now mold growing on the inside of the alcove -and on the window frame.

I've noticed that there are no ventilation vents in the room at all (there are in all other rooms), there are two small vents on the velux window frame but these make no difference.

Any advice, please? If I cut a hole in the plasterboard and add two vents either side of the window (on the recessed alcove) would this work? The moist air would then be escaping into the roof/attic space - or is this likely to cause further problems?

Thanks in advance folks. It's a child's room so I need it resolved as soon as I can.

Dont! cut vents into the plasterboard. You will create a rot in your roof timbers (very bad)

You need to get a vent added to the room from an externally facing wall. You can do this yourself via some DIY or get a company to add one core drill place. Any local handyman could probably do it also.

I would address this sooner than later as mould can lead to respiratory problems if left unchecked.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Open the velux?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭PCros

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

PCros wrote: »

Surely something like that doesn't resolve any major issues. They condense a tiny amount of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭PCros

Surely something like that doesn't resolve any major issues. They condense a tiny amount of water.

Hence why I said short term...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

PCros wrote: »
    Hence why I said short term...

What like a week.....

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭hamguy

Hi, thanks everyone. I tried that UniBond thingy a few weeks ago - its collecting moisture - but not enough. The windows are still soaking form condensation.

Advertisement