Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

28 week scan - questions

Options
  • 06-01-2019 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all. I am 27 weeks and have my 28 week scan coming up - obviously!! Anyway, I have had a straight forward pregnancy but I have kind of gone through it in denial as I have been feeling so great! Anyway, reality is starting to set in and I want to be prepared for all eventualities I.e. early birth, how I know when to go into hospital etc.

So my question is, what questions do I need to ask my consultant at my next appoint - health wise, planning wise, even worse case scenario wise? Is there any tests I should ask her to do? My consultant is good however, I feel if I have structured questions I will get more from the visit. I am private but really don't think I have been utilising it in regard to gaining the best information going forward. Any advice/suggestions welcome no matter how obvious they might seem as I may have overlooked even the basics. TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Your antenatal classes will cover all aspects relating to signs of labour, different interventions, different pain management available, what happens during/after labour (placenta delivery, skin to skin etc.) and how to care for a newborn (nappies, feeding and winding). The only thing I remember asking my doctors before was if they had/ would check me for Strep B as I knew someone who lost a baby to it after labour.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I second the Strep B question-they don't check routinely and it was found in me due to a random swab done when I presented with a bleed.
    Also I would say to your consultant that you would like to put together a birth plan (use antenatal classes to inform yourself for this, and see what they say.
    Otherwise there is actually very little really, as you are quite early yet.They may do bloods at your appointment as I think they check iron levels at 28 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Inform yourself as much as you can before your appointment, only then will you know what questions you actually want clarified...

You might want to do natural birth, or you may prefer as much pain-relief as possible, for example, it's down to your own disposition and what's important to you. Some like natural approach, others prefer medical help, e.g. the Vitamin K drop for baby, the injection post-partum to deliver the placenta (this often doesn't get much cover in ante-natal classes, it's the final stage of labour). Do you want to keep your placenta, do you want to do late umbilical cord clamping etc... No one will tell you this info, unless you read up on it yourself really tbh...

What facilities does your hospital offer for labour? e.g. do they have a labouring bath/pool, yoga ball, what positions can you use to get through labour and to give birth (standing, crouching, lying...)?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

There's a 28 week scan?
    My wife is 28 weeks, this week and we have a midwife appointment only. Next scan is at 32.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

I thought there were only 2, one at 12 and one at 20 weeks. Maybe depends on hospital

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Peppery

There are so many different care options between private, semi, public and then midwife led clinics that it varies hugely. I’m public in NMH and I’ve been scanned at every hospital appointment.

I would say a lot of questions will be covered in your antenatal classes but no harm in asking now if there’s anything on your mind.

I actually asked about strep b today and was told that they do a quick result test when you’re in labour after waters break...this was Holles St.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

My 32 week scan is tomorrow and someone well meaning said that was not normal :(. Haven’t had just a sonograoher one since I was 20 weeks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Depends in the hospital.
    If the OP is private, she probably has a scan at every appointment-I was semi-private, and I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

posy2010 wrote: »
    My 32 week scan is tomorrow and someone well meaning said that was not normal :(. Haven’t had just a sonograoher one since I was 20 weeks

We're due in at 32 weeks too (about 3 weeks from now) but we were told that at the 20 week scan as its due to a low lying placenta needing to be checked at that stage.
    Nothing to worry about, we were told.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

posy2010 wrote: »

Some ppl have opinions on everything, try not to let it get to you. I had scans on both of mine late in pregnancies - one was for a low lying placenta and I can't remember what the other one was for. Neither were for any cause for concern & I've two healthy children now :D Try to surround yourself with positive vibes only. People make a lot of remarks in passing without thinking of how it can affect others.

• Advertisement
Advertisement