Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Sports FA Cup coverage not blocked for NI viewers!

Options
  • 06-01-2019 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭

Live FA Cup coverage on Eir Sport 1 for N. Ireland viewers including 3.00pm KO involving Chelsea. Is this a first i.e. having a 3.00pm match shown live in part of the UK when there's meant to be a black out? BTW all Eir Sports live FA Cup matches were shown today for NI subscribers 'in the clear' and not geo blocked.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Not quite a first; not even this season. Eleven Sports deliberately broadcast a couple of 3pms from Spain/Italy before they were told to stop. In previous years S4C broadcast League of Wales games kicking off at 3pm on a Saturday; there is no blackout in Wales but S4C is on the Sky EPG throughout the U.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

There was no UK blackout yesterday so BT or the BBC could have shown a 3pm game if they wished.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/about-uefa/news/newsid=19817.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

lertsnim wrote: »
    There was no UK blackout yesterday so BT or the BBC could have shown a 3pm game if they wished.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/about-uefa/news/newsid=19817.html

Thanks for clarifying this. However because BT/BBC had live UK broadcasting rights for FA Cup should Eir Sports coverage not have been geo blocked for NI viewers?

Thanks for clarifying this. However becuase BT/BBC had live UK broadcasting rights for FA Cup should Eir Sports coverage not have been geo blocked for NI viewers?

In a word, yes, I’m surprised it wasn’t because it had been in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Why is their no 3 o'clock game on eir today?

• Advertisement

I’m not sure why they haven’t scheduled an FA Cup 3pm game on eir Sport 1 and allowed Premier Sports coverage of Dragons v Munster to air on eir Sport 2. They didn’t air Arsenal v Man United last night either which previously they wouldn’t have passed up, in circumstances where there were 3 Pro14 games airing simultaneously on eir Sport 1, eir Sport 2 and FreeSports.

Given the Munster game is also on TG4 you’d have to think the loss of any income they’d be getting on advertising could be weighed against the cost savings of not mounting a seperate studio production and commentary team for Eir Sport viewers. Maybe they’ve run the numbers and the rugby is more lucrative. Almost certainly the fixture would have been Man City v Burnley.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

No wonder people turn to illegal online streams when there is no legal way to watch matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

mikeym wrote: »
    No wonder people turn to illegal online streams when there is no legal way to watch matches.

Bit of a joke alright.

I can understand why they didn't bother with United v Arsenal as it's was on bbc. But today was disappointing.

Also don't these games have a "world feed"? It's not as if they have to sent commentators over.

http://johnroder.com/blog/world-feed-football-commentary.-what-is-it

Could they not put it up on their website or on Eirsport extra 1 or 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

Bit of a joke alright.

I can understand why they didn't bother with United v Arsenal as it's was on bbc. But today was disappointing.

Also don't these games have a "world feed"? It's not as if they have to sent commentators over.

http://johnroder.com/blog/world-feed-football-commentary.-what-is-it

Could they not put it up on their website or on Eirsport extra 1 or 2?

Eir generally only take world feeds for the likes of the FA Cup or (when they were covering it) the Italian and French football, so it's a bit of an odd one.

I don't really care about rugby so it's a bit of a loss.

Eir Sports FA Cup 4th Rd coverage including delayed matches all geo blocked in NI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

Eir Sports FA Cup 4th Rd coverage including delayed matches all geo blocked in NI.

I wonder how they found out.

Dindane wrote: »
    I wonder how they found out.

Are you hinting it may be through this forum? Well I may have to hold my hand up on this one.

Advertisement