Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forestry grant for wet land

Options
  • 05-01-2019 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

Is there a grant /premium for planting land that is wet three /four months of the year ? Would plant native forestry or what ever to get the premium.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

How wet is wet , is the ground covered with water or just boggy. Contact your local Teagasc forestry advisor for advice, they will visit the site you want to plant, free of charge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

How wet is wet , is the ground covered with water or just boggy. Contact your local Teagasc forestry advisor for advice, they will visit the site you want to plant, free of charge

Not all is boggy but what is boggy floods during high water level during the winter. Bit not every winter

Not all is boggy but what is boggy floods during high water level during the winter. Bit not every winter

It would probably grow alder .

It would probably grow alder .

Would I get the premium for that ?

Yes , alder is approved for the grant

• Advertisement

Yes , alder is approved for the grant

Would there be any value in the timber ?

The trees are fast growing, making medium quality firewood, better than softwood, not as good as beech or ash. You won't get a better return from wet ground

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I've wet land planted with alder, some of the trees are doing well, but there are very wet blocks where they are barely still alive.Mine was turned down the first time I applied, but I re-applied a few years later and got it planted ok.

Is there anyway of dropping the water level before you apply? I'm guessing you are beside a river that is prone to flooding? Mounding and drains every 12m will do a lot to dry it out. Put sitka/norway spruce/ a hardwood on the drier parts if you can. As tabby says, ask Teagasc to take a look.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

yep its near a river. drains are all filled in so that doesnt help. would tbe grant pay for all the drain cleaning etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

blue5000 wrote: »
    I've wet land planted with alder, some of the trees are doing well, but there are very wet blocks where they are barely still alive.Mine was turned down the first time I applied, but I re-applied a few years later and got it planted ok.

Is there anyway of dropping the water level before you apply? I'm guessing you are beside a river that is prone to flooding? Mounding and drains every 12m will do a lot to dry it out. Put sitka/norway spruce/ a hardwood on the drier parts if you can. As tabby says, ask Teagasc to take a look.

Do the very wet blocks dry during summer?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement

80sDiesel wrote: »

Yea they would if the drains were actually dug. But do forestry not have to look at it during the winter period ? Its marked on the map as flood area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

80sDiesel wrote: »

Yes, dry enough to walk through this winter anyway. It's cutaway bog and these few bits are about a foot lower than the rest of it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

How much would an acre of alder make after 10 years ? Would it be fully grown for cutting àt this stage ?

Advertisement