Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security alarm for new Home

Options
  • 05-01-2019 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭

I am looking for advice, what's the best home security system to install in a new home?

Looking for wireless, which has video feed option available and back entrance with motion sensor spotlights.

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Most of what you are looking for is pretty standard in most systems.
    Your best option is to get a survey and quote from around 3 licenced installers .
    Shop around and see if you are being tied into any long term commitments like service contracts/monitoring/app charges. This is where system makes and installation company's vary. The general rule would be the less you pay up front the more its going to be in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Many thanks.

And what's the latest technology? I read wireless devices are norm now.
    KoolKid wrote: »
    Most of what you are looking for is pretty standard in most systems.
    Your best option is to get a survey and quote from around 3 licenced installers .
    Shop around and see if you are being tied into any long term commitments like service contracts/monitoring/app charges. This is where system makes and installation company's vary. The general rule would be the less you pay up front the more its going to be in the long run.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Most systems can be hybrid also & mix wired and wireless if needed.
    IP is the norm now with apps for alerts and remote control of the system.
    This is another area where you need to look into the detail and not get caught with ongoing commitments/payments.
    As I said there are lots of options , shop around.
    Some good information here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057394782

Thank you so much. I am going to read up on the link.

Would you recommend Homesecure services?

No.
    A classic example of cheap up front but you are tied into long term commitments.

• Advertisement

Can I not just get cameras and sensors fitted? And monitor from my phone? I don't like the idea of paying monthly.
    No.
    A classic example of cheap up front but you are tied into long term commitments.

Can I not just get cameras and sensors fitted? And monitor from my phone? I don't like the idea of paying monthly.

You can of course. But the cheap offers are the ones that will tie you into ongoing payments.

Is Ring alarm system from Amazon good?

I am looking for something like light sensors at front and back of house. And cameras in both places, which I could view from my mobile phone
    You can of course. But the cheap offers are the ones that will tie you into ongoing payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Is Ring alarm system from Amazon good?

I am looking for something like light sensors at front and back of house. And cameras in both places, which I could view from my mobile phone

Ring pretty sure you pay monthly sub. Have a look at blink xt not got them myself but might go down that route. I know someone that paid circa 200 sterling for 3 cameras during black Friday sale so current prices might be a bit high.

I checked Blink XT, it looks good, but they don't have alarm system in case someone breaks in from front or back door. Any idea If I can get it without monthly subs?

It says in the reviews for Blink that there was delay of 30 seconds between motion detected and being informed.
    mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Ring pretty sure you pay monthly sub. Have a look at blink xt not got them myself but might go down that route. I know someone that paid circa 200 sterling for 3 cameras during black Friday sale so current prices might be a bit high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Some of the other experienced / knowledgeable people on here will be able to advise regarding alarms without ongoing subs but if you are looking for cheap ongoing costs then you might have to compromise on quality or be prepared to pay for higher start up costs.

What I would say is stay clear of alarm companies where the cost is low but high on going rental monthly subs.

Look at total cost for the duration of the system and how long it should last

That's very helpful.

I am happy to pay 5-700 initial cost, but don't want another 30 per month on top of that.

If people can advise me of door alarm, cameras (live view) and spot light, then I am a happy man.
    mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Some of the other experienced / knowledgeable people on here will be able to advise regarding alarms without ongoing subs but if you are looking for cheap ongoing costs then you might have to compromise on quality or be prepared to pay for higher start up costs.

What I would say is stay clear of alarm companies where the cost is low but high on going rental monthly subs.

Look at total cost for the duration of the system and how long it should last

For a full alarm systems that you own without any ongoing charges you may need to up your budget a little more.
    The cheaper options are like getting a good mobile phone for free or cheap. They difference has to be made up somewhere along the line.

Roughly how much initial cost are we looking at
    ?
    For a full alarm systems that you own without any ongoing charges you may need to up your budget a little more.
    The cheaper options are like getting a good mobile phone for free or cheap. They difference has to be made up somewhere along the line.

Roughly €900 - €1100 for decent perimeter protection and app.

That's doable.

I am new in this area, would you be able to recommend few companies that I need to look at?

Many thanks!
    Roughly €900 - €1100 for decent perimeter protection and app.

There are some good companies in the sticky here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055956748

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭altor

That's doable.

I am new in this area, would you be able to recommend few companies that I need to look at?

Many thanks!

If your looking to look by area, have a look on the PSA website here for a list of installers in your area.

Thank you both!

Advertisement