Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoiseach's seat in Dáil Éireann

Options
  • 05-01-2019 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Does the resigning Taoiseach automatically keep his seat in Dáil Éireann after its reassembly or should he secure it in the election?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Stanford

The office of Taoiseach is not up for election by the people, he/she is elected by the incoming Government

• Registered Users Posts: 13 allmight

I was asking about his seat in Dáil Éireann which one has to be a member of to be eligible for an appointment as a Taoiseach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Ceann Comhairle is the only TD who retains their seat without an election.

So there's no way for the Taoiseach to secure the support of a majority in reassembled Dáil Éireann pursuant to Article 28.10 if he was not elected a TD in the last election?

Article 28.10 states the following:

"The Taoiseach shall resign from office upon his ceasing to retain the support of a majority in Dáil Éireann unless on his advice the President dissolves Dáil Éireann and on the reassembly of Dáil Éireann after the dissolution the Taoiseach secures the support of a majority in Dáil Éireann."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Correct. The Taoiseach must be an elected TD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think you're questioning what would happen if Leo didn't get elected in Dublin West in the next election, coupled with a hung Dail which would make it difficult to form a new government.

I'd suspect he would continue as Taoiseach (for purposes of things like international meetings) until such time as a new government was voted in. Whether he'd be allowed address the Dail though I don't know, probably not. It sounds like the sort of thing which would be a constitutional mess. Thankfully I'd expect there to be enough sensibleness on display on all sides for it not to descend into anarchy.

Thanks for the answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think you're questioning what would happen if Leo didn't get elected in Dublin West in the next election, coupled with a hung Dail which would make it difficult to form a new government.

I'd suspect he would continue as Taoiseach (for purposes of things like international meetings) until such time as a new government was voted in. Whether he'd be allowed address the Dail though I don't know, probably not. It sounds like the sort of thing which would be a constitutional mess. Thankfully I'd expect there to be enough sensibleness on display on all sides for it not to descend into anarchy.

This is basically what would happen - during the 2016 government negotiation proceedings we had a number of Ministers who had to continue in their roles despite failing to get re-elected - James Reilly and Alex White at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yup. Under Article 28.11.2 of the Constitution, "the members of the Government in office at the date of a dissolution of dáil Éireann shall continue to hold office until their successors shall have been appointed".

The question of the outgoing Taoiseach addressign the Dáil doesn't really arise. When the new Dail assembles, the first item of business is electing (or re-electing) the Ceann Comhairle, and after that is the election of a Taoiseach. The outgoing Taoiseach, if he has lost his seat, obviously won't be a candidate, so why would he need to address the Dáil? And they won't be proceeding to consider any other business until they have elected a Taoiseach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Brian Cowen was Taoiseach until Enda Kenny was voted in the Dail, so he was Taoiseach without being a TD for a short time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think article 28 may refer to the situation where the president requests that the elected tds try to form a different government without having an election so
    Varadkar could lose support, resign as taoiseach, go to the aras and be told to try to form a government with existing elected tds. Using the current situation, varadkar could go back to Dail, get support of FF and be elected taoiseach in a fg ff government.
    I think that is what is referred to but I could be totally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

mickdw wrote: »
    I think article 28 may refer to the situation where the president requests that the elected tds try to form a different government without having an election so
    Varadkar could lose support, resign as taoiseach, go to the aras and be told to try to form a government with existing elected tds. Using the current situation, varadkar could go back to Dail, get support of FF and be elected taoiseach in a fg ff government.
    I think that is what is referred to but I could be totally wrong.
    I think you are. Article 28.11.2 specifically deals with the situation whcih arises on the dissolution of the Dail (i.e when there is a general election).

Advertisement