Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2008 corolla verso 1.6 petrol problems

Options
  • 05-01-2019 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Could anyone help diagnosing a problem? The car was driving fine then hit motorway speeds and she starts to shudder like being in the wrong gear. Orange engine management comes on and flashes when everytime there's a loss of power or shudder, traction control light comes and stays on, and the vehicle stability control light stays on.

I'm thinking it's a fuel problem because it mostly happens on an incline or while cornering either bad connection on sensor or filter blockage.

But any ideas would be appreciated before I start ripping stuff out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Faulty ignition coil, very likely. Get codes read and better don't drive unless absolutely necessary, as it may damage catalytic converter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Engineercorps

joujoujou wrote: »
    Faulty ignition coil, very likely. Get codes read and better don't drive unless absolutely necessary, as it may damage catalytic converter.

I'll check that out Monday I'm strongly thinking fuel regulator because when she's cold it runs great after that it's starts with the problems

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'll check that out Monday I'm strongly thinking fuel regulator because when she's cold it runs great after that it's starts with the problems

Certainly doesn’t sound like a fuel regulator because if it were it would happen regardless of the car being hot or cold.

It sounds like a faulty sensor. The cars ECU runs closed loop when it’s cold but once up to heat the sensors input the parameters and so a faulty one (possibly MAF/MAP) could be the cause.

However there’s no point guessing, get the error code and you’ll have your answer. Any half competent mechanic will have an OBD reader, you don’t need to go to Toyota to get it diagnosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

My gambling money is with joujoujou. The shuddering sounds wicked like misfiring. The extra heat achieved during a motorway jaunt could be enough to show up a coil that's giving up the ghost soon.
    A diagnostic scan will reveal all...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Worn plugs are usually what kills the coils over time, the extra power needed to jump the bigger gap kills them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Engineercorps

You'd never guess what it was in the end. Water sitting an top of the plug one of the seals on the coil was cracked. All sorted now all codes indicated misfire the lights were all precautions for some reason.

Thanks lads for all the suggestions

Advertisement