Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a dog clippers

Options
  • 04-01-2019 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Hi could anyone recommend a dog clippers. I had one I bought in Lidl and got a couple of years out of it.
    Would I be as well to buy similar again or should I spend a bit more on one. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Hi folks any advice on this. TIA

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I suppose what you need to ask yourself is, do you want to go with cheap 'n' cheerful and get a couple of years out of it (like the Lidl clippers), or would you be prepared to go up in the money for a really good quality clippers that'll last for years (blade maintenance/replacement aside)?
    For a pretty good quality set, you're looking at around about €200, with replacement blades in and around €20.

DBB wrote:
    For a pretty good quality set, you're looking at around about €200, with replacement blades in and around €20.

Thanks for your reply. I don't want to spend €200 on one to be honest. Is there any advantage to going for one more expensive than Lidl but not as expensive as €200.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Thanks for your reply. I don't want to spend €200 on one to be honest. Is there any advantage to going for one more expensive than Lidl but not as expensive as €200.

I'm trying to remember... What brand are the Lidl ones? Wahl have entry-level clippers that'd cost maybe €50ish that'd be a good choice for most owners who just want to tidy up their own dog a few times a year... Is that you? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I got a cheapo one on amazon last week for tidying up their paws and so far so good. I have Prime so picked that one to get my free postage and made sure it wasn’t coming from China because I don’t have the patience! There seems to be tons of Chinese ones that are the same but with a different name/cartoon dog on them. It was 9.99 when I got it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07H3YF4H6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Advertisement

DBB wrote:
    I'm trying to remember... What brand are the Lidl ones? Wahl have entry-level clippers that'd cost maybe €50ish that'd be a good choice for most owners who just want to tidy up their own dog a few times a year... Is that you?

The Lidl ones are zoofari worked great until I took the blade off to clear some hair that got stuck in them. Won't cut at all after putting them back together.
    Saw wahl ones on Argos site but reviews were mixed. Mind you there are only a couple of reviews all told.

tk123 wrote:
    I got a cheapo one on amazon last week for tidying up their paws and so far so good. I have Prime so picked that one to get my free postage and made sure it wasn’t coming from China because I don’t have the patience! There seems to be tons of Chinese ones that are the same but with a different name/cartoon dog on them. It was 9.99 when I got it

Thanks but looking for something a bit more robust...... I think :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

What are you clipping goldenwonders? Is it just a tidy up like DBB suggested?

I've got a couple of clippers I've had for YEARS in the cupboard because I use them about once per year to clip one strip, and twice this year to clip round an injury. There would be no point in me buying decent clippers.

On the other hand, if I was getting a poodle in the morning I'd be investing in a decent set of clippers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

I have a Wahl, its over 20 years old, and still going strong, can still buy blades and guide combs to fit, use it for trimming, of dog and pony's its similar to this one:
    https://www.petconnection.ie/wahl-pet-clipper-grooming-kit-with-dvd-c2x24227602
    really it depends on what you want it for,mine only has light use few times a year

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Moser are one of the best dog clippers.

I have a more expensive set for my two big doggies although Zooplus have these at 39 which are excellent for the money.

Read through the reviews..

https://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_grooming_care/clippers_shears/moser_clippers/472594

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply all responses are appreciated. It would be only a few times a year so one of the ones linked will be perfect. Thanks again and Happy New Year to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 RachelQEZ

The one I bought in Pet World was great. A little expensive, but very quiet. My dog hates noise but she tolerated these. Newbie so I can't post a link :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I use a Heiniger Clippers however these would be used by professionals. Andis are good too. They are far more expensive though then the stuff on Zooplus but well worth the money. Mine is cordless which I love.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

I have a budget of about €150 for a good set of clippers. Any recommendations for a 3-pin plug version. Amazon.de only do 2 pin EU style plugs from experience. Looking for a corded version.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Anawilliam850

When looking for dog clippers, it's important to consider a few factors such as the type of coat your dog has, the frequency of use, and your budget.

If you're looking for a budget-friendly option, Lidl clippers can be a good choice as they offer a similar quality to more expensive brands. However, it's important to note that cheaper clippers may not be as durable and may not last as long as more expensive models.

If you're looking for a clipper that will last longer, it might be worth investing in a more expensive model. Some popular and high-quality dog clipper brands include Andis, Oster, and Wahl. These brands are known for producing clippers that are durable, long-lasting, and can handle different types of coats. They also offer a wide range of attachments and blades to suit different grooming needs.

Another factor to consider when buying clippers is the motor type. There are two types of motors: single speed and variable speed. Single speed clippers have one speed and are usually less expensive, while variable speed clippers have multiple speeds and can be adjusted to suit different coat types.

It's also a good idea to read reviews of the clippers you are interested in and look at how they perform in different conditions and with different coat types.

In summary, it depends on how often you'll be using it, how much you're willing to spend and your preference. if you're going to be using them frequently, it might be worth investing in a more expensive model, but if you're planning on using them infrequently, a budget-friendly option might be a better choice.

Thanks for the detail @Anawilliam850. I'd be using about 8-10 times during the year. Have a few friends also who I'll go to.

Red setter, springer & a terrier. I have the Lidle version for €18 & it's not very good even on the terrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I've an Oster clippers for about 12 years, little dog needs clippers every 6-8 weeks, bigger ones about 3-4 times a year. Thick double coated breeds (all three) so the cheap ones weren't doing the job.

Blades are expensive, I think about €40-60 each, I've 2 for different lengths.

To be fair original blade was working fine for nearly 10 years before I dropped it and knocked them out of line.

Corded, and a bit heavy, but not had any issue with them.

Went with a Wahl KMSS from amazon.de but noticed it is being delivered by Royal Mail so I hope I don't have to pay customs.

Advertisement