Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media + Netgear Nighthawk & Segregating IoT network?

Options
  • 04-01-2019 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hi all

Spent far too long Googling this one. I'm technically minded, but networking is far from my strong suit.

I'm trying to segregate my IoT devices (there's quite a few of them) to it's own network, and restricting the rest of network to laptops/phones for security.

Setup is as follows :

Virgin Media hub; connected to
    Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router; and
    Virgin Media wireless disabled

I figured when I bought the Nighthawk, that the guest networks would allow segregation from the 'standard' network, except for the IoT devices to see each other on the guest network (for connectivity purposes), the only option to allow this grants access to the 'standard' network as well.

Is there a way of forcing the guest network to 192.168.1.X (as the 'standard' network is 192.168.0.X)? Or is there another way, such as forcing the Nighthawk as a whole to 192.168.1.X and connecting IoT devices directly to the VM hub (potentially running into interference issues, and losing the speed of the Nighthawk vs. VM hub - two IoT devices are Ring cameras)?

Suspecting VLAN might be the solution, but would have no clue where to start with setting that up.

All help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You're in luck, Virgin will give you 4-6 public IPs so you can basically have multiple independent networks.

Connect all your own kit to the Nighthawk, buy another router for your IoT devices. They'll both share your 240/360Mb on an on demand basis so assuming the Rings arent streaming video you'll still have full speed on the main network.

Advertisement