Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH and my own router

Options
  • 03-01-2019 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,901 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, i have eir FTTH and have been using a ubiquiti security gateway instead of the eir modem.

will be switching to sky as eir price increases after initial 12 months and they arent that interested in competing.

used this guide successfully:

http://blog.conorwalsh.net/?p=70

Question is, once i move to vodafone, should any of the settings change or can i leave it as it is?

specifically the vlan id.

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Cyrus wrote: »
    Hi, i have eir FTTH and have been using a ubiquiti security gateway instead of the eir modem.

will be switching to sky as eir price increases after initial 12 months and they arent that interested in competing.

used this guide successfully:

http://blog.conorwalsh.net/?p=70

Question is, once i move to vodafone, should any of the settings change or can i leave it as it is?

specifically the vlan id.

cheers

Vodafone or Sky?

The VLAN ID should be the same. Vodafone uses PPPoE. Here's a post with the required details:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108500264#post108500264

Sky are PPPoE as well, at least on their VDSL service. Here's a post with Sky details (for VDSL but should work for FTTH)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108891891&postcount=4

• Registered Users Posts: 19,901 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Sky,

Will there not be a difference between the FTTH service and VDSL i wonder?

thanks for the links

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Sky,

Will there not be a difference between the FTTH service and VDSL i wonder?

thanks for the links

Sky have only launched FTTH relatively recently. I don't think anyone has posted the connection details so far. I'm not familiar with the Sky router so I don't know if the connection details can be accessed easily in the settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There was a post somewhere Im pretty sure, I remember as the creds were non unique which was a change for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Can't find the post, but here are the instructions for Sky FTTH:

- In the WAN settings, set the WAN connection type to PPPoE (NOT automatic IP, which is what virtually everything else online says) and Vlan 10 of course.
    - In Account Settings, enter the account username and password. You do not need your actual credentials to do this! username as anything@skydsl, and password as 1234567 works. ( the details are Option 15, not 61).
    - That's it - you're done! You do not need to fill in Option 61 on the router. You do not need to clone the Sky Hub MAC address.

/M

• Advertisement

Here's the original thread explaining it: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108932038

/M

thanks, thats for fibre not ultra fibre, hopefully its the same

thanks, thats for fibre not ultra fibre, hopefully its the same

Well .. it is. But there is no information around on Sky's FTTH (Ultra Fibre) yet, because they only have started offering it since xmas.

Also be aware, that their pricing also sky rockets, when you pass the 12 month mark. Sometimes even half way through.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Well .. it is. But there is no information around on Sky's FTTH (Ultra Fibre) yet, because they only have started offering it since xmas.

Also be aware, that their pricing also sky rockets, when you pass the 12 month mark. Sometimes even half way through.

/M

they all do, my eir 350mb was going to go from 58 (was 53 for first 5 months) to 80 or something. When i called to say id move to sky for 50 a month they said they could do 63 best case, so i moved!

sky is 50 a month for 12 months which was as cheap as i can get (SIRO isnt available to me)

they all do, my eir 350mb was going to go from 58 (was 53 for first 5 months) to 80 or something. When i called to say id move to sky for 50 a month they said they could do 63 best case, so i moved!

sky is 50 a month for 12 months which was as cheap as i can get (SIRO isnt available to me)

No .. there are several providers that just charge what it says on the tin-can.

/M

• Advertisement

No .. there are several providers that just charge what it says on the tin-can.

/M

for FTTH?

who?

* Westnet (if you're in Mayo or near Mayo)
    * Net1
    * BBNet
    * Airwire

I'm not so sure on Digiweb, as their website is down due to issues with their security certificate.

It's only the big players that make their packages look cheap with discounted pricing and then hike it as you go on.

/M

* Westnet (if you're in Mayo or near Mayo)
    * Net1
    * BBNet
    * Airwire

I'm not so sure on Digiweb, as their website is down due to issues with their security certificate.

/M

i think they are mostly rural based (im in Dublin) Net1 is 70 a month for what im getting for 50 from sky.

Digiweb is more expensive than sky as well (I'll switch after 12 months)

i think they are mostly rural based (im in Dublin) Net1 is 70 a month for what im getting for 50 from sky.

Digiweb is more expensive than sky as well (I'll switch after 12 months)

Net1 will do nationwide pretty much.
    BBNet may stick to the westcoast, but it's always worth asking.
    Airwire is nationwide pretty much. Even do SIRO in Carrickmines.

And Sky's introductory price is pretty much generating them a loss. They are subsidizing it with their TV packages.

/M

Net1 will do nationwide pretty much.
    BBNet may stick to the westcoast, but it's always worth asking.
    Airwire is nationwide pretty much. Even do SIRO in Carrickmines.

And Sky's introductory price is pretty much generating them a loss. They are subsidizing it with their TV packages.

/M

ill ride the 50 a month pricing with whoever is offering it for as long as i can, the others may be fixed price but it would cost me 240 extra over the next year :p

anyone else who come across this, the changes for sky ultra fibre are as outlined in the link above

PPOE
    anyusername
    anypassword
    VLANID:10

• Registered Users Posts: 39 emilrasyad

I'm on Vodafone and using my own modem from linksys, works ever since i connected it, finger crossed.

Advertisement