Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security camera on front door, legalities

Options
  • 03-01-2019 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for information on the legalities surrounding security cameras for home premises. I have a camera aimed at my front door and small garden which also covers some of the public footpath. From the articles I read it seems that I could be at risk of civil action?

Also I didn't understand the difference between a home camera such as the one mentioned above and dashcams for example which are widely used and constantly film public areas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭altor

j4vier wrote: »
    I'm looking for information on the legalities surrounding security cameras for home premises. I have a camera aimed at my front door and small garden which also covers some of the public footpath. From the articles I read it seems that I could be at risk of civil action?

Also I didn't understand the difference between a home camera such as the one mentioned above and dashcams for example which are widely used and constantly film public areas.

You wouldnt have any issues with that setup.
    If the camera was pointing into a neighbours property then thats a different situation altogether but with their consent it can be done.
    If something did happen on the public road footage can be requested from your system which you must provide.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

j4vier wrote: »

Also I didn't understand the difference between a home camera such as the one mentioned above and dash cams for example which are widely used and constantly film public areas.

To be honest its all such a mess and most of the regulations around this are totally impossible to police.
    Some examples of the contradictions and ridiculous situations.

Dash-cams are 1 . Who is following you to see if the images you recorded while driving down O Connell Streets last month are deleted.?
    You record a video & upload to FB what happens to 30 day retention.?
    What if you have a Ring Door Bell (or similar) on a door on a main road?
    The list is endless . Next is blocking out faces... Kind defeats the purpose CCTV was invented for.:confused::confused:

Advertisement