Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father's attending ante natal classes

Options
  • 02-01-2019 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Myself and my wife have ante natal classes starting next week and are on a weekday at 3pm for 6 weeks. Are all or some of these aimed at mother and father. I haven't mentioned it to work about getting time off to attend these and wondering what are most companies policy regarding these. Thought they were afternoon classes prior to this so didn't think they would clash with work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

mjp wrote: »
    Myself and my wife have ante natal classes starting next week and are on a weekday at 3pm for 6 weeks. Are all or some of these aimed at mother and father. I haven't mentioned it to work about getting time off to attend these and wondering what are most companies policy regarding these. Thought they were afternoon classes prior to this so didn't think they would clash with work.

When I did antenatal classes, they were in the evenings, and there were a good few dads there, but realistically, if they’re being run at that time of day, there won’t be many dads present, I would think. It’s a bit of a waste of leave for dads, considering that it will be much more needed in a few weeks/months.
    It would be worth ringing whoever is giving the classes to ask if there’s any in particular that you should attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

When I went they were on at 6.30 in the evenings, I recall every father was there for the majority of classes. But at 3pm I would doubt it would be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

My classes were around 3pm and it was 50/50 with the fathers there and not. You are entitled to time from work for the last 2 classes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

There's some of the classes that you won't want to be there for and some that you should defo go to! Ask your wife if she has a schedule or list of what will be covered on certain days and decide yourself which to go to. My company gives time off for ante natal classes separate to annual or paternity leave.
    Congratulations and best of luck with baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I’m an antenatal class teacher (granted a private weekend class). As above, try find out what’s on what week. In an ideal world yes you’d be there for it all but may not be possible, see if they cover stuff for birth partners any of the particular weeks (depending on the hospital and the class it could be a very comprehensive birth education or patchy and no better than what you could find yourself in a book). Worth going to familiarize yourself with hospital policy and ideally tools to help support your partner so you can be a good practical support to her during the birth but as said by others above that leave may well be needed in months to come.
    Best of luck with all ahead with pregnancy and new baby - very exciting time for you both.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I believe you have a statutory right to leave work to attend 2 classes at the very least. (assuming this is your first and you have attended no other classes)

Your company must, by law,allow you to attend two, so maybe try to find out which two are relevant to the labour/birth. Equally your company may be generous enough to let you attend all of them, but all you can do is ask them about that.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/before_your_baby_is_born/antenatal_visits.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,631 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I went to two. It was all that was needed to be frank.

And it wasn't me that decided , she decided and turned out to be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I plan on going to most except for one when I'm away.
    That may change if I'm told otherwise.

Advertisement