Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi and my Microwave

Options
  • 01-01-2019 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

Okay, so here's the thing. I've noticed that my Wifi is completely killed whenever I put the Microwave on.

I never noticed this before although I assume it must be normal. It's not channel specific by any chance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

No, not much you can do about it sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

zenith wrote: »
    No, not much you can do about it sadly.

I thought a microwave is supposed to have a self contained Faraday cage to prevent the microwaves from escaping into your living space?
    Might want to invest in a new microwave...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

KOR101 wrote: »
    Okay, so here's the thing. I've noticed that my Wifi is completely killed whenever I put the Microwave on.

I never noticed this before although I assume it must be normal. It's not channel specific by any chance?

You should try changing the wifi channel about .... you might find a channel where the interference is much reduced or not present.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I would not be happy with a Microwave emitting that much outside of it.

I mean seriously.

WiFi is 100mW on 2.4 GHz, 200mW on 5 GHz in the lower band, 1W on 5 GHz in the upper band.

A Microwave is 1000W !!!

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Marlow wrote: »
    I would not be happy with a Microwave emitting that much outside of it.

I mean seriously.

WiFi is 100mW on 2.4 GHz, 200mW on 5 GHz in the lower band, 1W on 5 GHz in the upper band.

A Microwave is 1000W !!!

/M

But as you state it only has to radiate 0.1 Watts (0.01% loss) to be in direct competition with the WiFi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Am I to take it that this is not normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

A quick google indicates its not unusual.

The point I was making earlier is that even a 0.01% escape of microwaves amounts to the same power as your 2.4Ghz WiFi. The microwave won't be "tuned" to band like the WiFi so its an ideal source of interference to mess up your 2.4Ghz WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its very very normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I've come across this many times too in other peoples houses but it does not happen to my own WiFi anytime the Microwave is in use.

So, are some Microwaves better than others regarding interference?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Zith

The microwave uses the same frequencies as the 2.4 gigahertz wifi, splattering across the full range usually. Modern devices can use both 2.4 (old technology) and 5 gigahertz (newer). If your router has 5 gigahertz and your device/phone is using 5 gigahertz then you will see no interference from a microwave.

• Advertisement

Fact is: Microwaves are evil ..

They not only kill all the bacteria in your food (bad .. and good !!) ... they also kill your 2.4 GHz wifi.

Solution: take microwave ... find a cliff .. like the Cliffs of Moher ... throw Microwave of said cliff ...

Important: don't let EPA catch you in the act.

Result: happy and somewhat healthy life ever after.

Disclaimer: this is my personal opinion. I have given away or trashed any microwave that has been attempted to gift to me. An airfrier is a much better job and it does not interfere with food nor wifi. If even makes the wife happy, as it's faster than the oven.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

SickBoy wrote: »
    I thought a microwave is supposed to have a self contained Faraday cage to prevent the microwaves from escaping into your living space?
    Might want to invest in a new microwave...

put a mobile phone in your microwave and call it from another phone and see if it rings. (it will).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

BailMeOut wrote: »
    put a mobile phone in your microwave and call it from another phone and see if it rings. (it will).

But don't turn on the Microwave! heheheheheheheheheheheheheh

And the phone only has 2W max. So ... the question is .. what percentage of the 1000W or whatever the microwave is rated at .. is it leaking ... make your own thoughts on that.
    But don't turn on the Microwave! heheheheheheheheheheheheheh

Ah .. go on .... sure .. ... it'll be grand.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Marlow wrote: »
    Fact is: Microwaves are evil ..

They not only kill all the bacteria in your food (bad .. and good !!) ... they also kill your 2.4 GHz wifi.

Solution: take microwave ... find a cliff .. like the Cliffs of Moher ... throw Microwave of said cliff ...

/M

That's actually a myth that is perpetuated a lot online.

It's a microwave, not a gamma ray oven!

Microwaves are not lethal to bacteria and they only kill it by exposing it to heat. All a microwave oven is doing is vibrating the water molecules in the food and that in turn creates heat.

If anything, microwaves are risky for reheating if you don't heat food fully through e.g. you could have less moist parts of a mouldy pizza that might not heat as much as the more moist parts and if you don't ensure even heating - you risk getting food poisoning.

Also they don't cook from the inside out, they only cook as far as the microwave can penetrate the food which isn't all that deep. Very large items are effectively cooked by conduction.

They do heat faster and more evenly than just applying heat as hot air or infrared rays (from a grill element).

If your microwave is creating RF interference for your router, there's something wrong with the shielding. I would suggest buying a new microwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Buy a new microwave. They are cheap.

I had a microwave years ago that killed the WiFi. Any one I've had since doesn't. My take from that is that the old one had bad shielding.

I don't know about your kids, but mine tended to find the microwave mesmerising and would stare into the door at close range until told otherwise.

Get a new one!

That’s actually the one thing you should not do with a microwave or even a very high energy output light like a halogen element on an older type hob or staring at the sun / looking up while sunbathing etc

Most of your body has very good blood supply and nerves that detect heat. It can very quickly remove heat with blood circulation and high temp will cause discomfort and you'll move away.

There's one big except - the lenses of your eyes. They've very limited circulation and don't have nerves to pick up when they're overheating.

Direct infrared heat, microwave heating can lead to cataract development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Buy a new microwave. They are cheap.

I had a microwave years ago that killed the WiFi. Any one I've had since doesn't. My take from that is that the old one had bad shielding.

I don't know about your kids, but mine tended to find the microwave mesmerising and would stare into the door at close range until told otherwise.

Get a new one!
    I can live with it killing my Wifi, but I draw the line at it killing me. The kids too, that's okay.....

It won’t kill them just mildly heat them up if they’re very close to it.

The microwaves are only dangerous when they’re at extreme concentrations close up. Much like a very bright, 1000W stage light is very dangerous if you put your hand on it, it’s not that big a deal with its defused out around a room.

Your microwave oven contains the microwaves and they bounce around the interior reflecting off the surfaces.

Think of it as a bit like putting a 1000W light into a mirrored box.

That's because your mobile phone can receive calls on 2G at 900MHz.
    Your microwave oven is designed to shield against 2450 MHz which is in the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi range and is a pretty broad and powerful 'signal'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

EdgeCase wrote: »
    That's because your mobile phone can receive calls on 2G at 900MHz.
    Your microwave oven is designed to shield against 2450 MHz which is in the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi range and is a pretty broad and powerful 'signal'.

You just debunked what Edward Snowden did in that Oliver Stone movie!

• Advertisement
Advertisement