Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stellenbosch

Options
  • 31-12-2018 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi all, has anybody been to Stellenbosch?
    Travelling to South Africa at the end of January and have 3 days in Stellenbsoch where we don't have anything really organised.
    Place looks lovely. If anybody could recommend anything that would be great. We are in Cape town for 4 days before this and Kruger park afterwards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,394 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Moon Dice wrote: »
    Hi all, has anybody been to Stellenbosch?
    Travelling to South Africa at the end of January and have 3 days in Stellenbsoch where we don't have anything really organised.
    Place looks lovely. If anybody could recommend anything that would be great. We are in Cape town for 4 days before this and Kruger park afterwards
    Vineyard tours, lion sanctuaries and crocodile farms. Three days might be a bit much. There’s some other lovely places along the garden route knysa, hermanus ( although in January the whales may be gone), mossel or plett bay. + loads more.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

if your down in Cape Town go to Robin island, breath taking experience, also do the parasailing from lions head.

The vineyard tours are a blast in Stellenbosch due to how inexpensive and how much alcohol they give you :)

Would also recommend getting down to Firhouse, Cape Town to check out the cheetah reserve, stunning place. Also mossel bay as mentioned by previous posted is really nice and lastly i would say go to boulder beach and see the penguin sanctuary, lovely beaches too.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Was there years ago and it was fantastic. Really really beautiful spot to chill out and drink some wine. Vineyard tours and cheetah sanctuary are what we got up to, but I see that the cheetahs have relocated since then. Vineyards at Constantia are lovely and worth visiting too, if you get a chance while you're in CT.

3 days, if it's 3 days rather than 4 days 3 nights sorta thing, should be fine there. There's lots to do in CT so the time in Stellenbosch could be a nice little chill before heading on to Kruger.

lastly i would say go to boulder beach and see the penguin sanctuary, lovely beaches too.

Ah yes definitely check out boulder beach! The penguins are incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Moon Dice

Thanks all.
    Any other recommendations for Cape town? We are heading up Table mountain and going to book Robin Island but nothing else booked yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Moon Dice wrote:
    Thanks all. Any other recommendations for Cape town? We are heading up Table mountain and going to book Robin Island but nothing else booked yet.

You have to drive down to the cape of good hope via Chapmans peak stunning drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Moon Dice

We didn't get a car unfortunately so we are a bit restricted that way.
    What kind of spending money should I be looking at for just over 2 weeks? Hotels and transfers already sorted

Ah yes definitely check out boulder beach! The penguins are incredible

Except if they are molten then they are boring. Lesson learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Check out the motorbike sidecar tours for around Capetown. We did it for our day 2 to get oriented and see a lot.

Depends on what your looking to do but the place is cheap as chips really. Wine tours and tasting all extremely affordable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 danosulli

You should check out Camps Bay in Capetown & also Cape of Good Hope is a good day trip ( and on the way back you get to see the penguins at boulder beach )

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

You'll love Capetown/Stellenbosch - genuinely one of the best places I've travelled to...
    Stellenbosch... 2/3 days is perfect here. Plenty of nice restaurants and cute shops. Check out De Warenmarkt, really good food. its like a big building which all diff local artisans for food coffee and a menu is made out of it. Fat butcher is good too.

If you have time you could go to Franschhoek for the day, go to La Petite Colombe and do the tram tour.

If you have time to do a safari there are day and over night trips in Aquila Reserve, it was amazing! My boyf at the time however had food poisoning from elsewhere so didnt enjoy it as much!! :)

Capetown - we did air bnb on Bree road which was really central and it was situated in a nice area which fab bars and restaurants. Go to Camps Bay, theres the district Six museum, obviously table mountain, book your tickets however it was Nov when we went so it was closed a number of times due to fog so managed to get it in near the end of the trip. I;d advise doing that early on into Capetown in case the fog occurs again. We also did a helicopter ride around the mountain and reads and it was pretty reasonable and good fun! Or you can do a boat trip...
    Capetown can be nearly as expensive or cheap as you want it to be. the V&A waterfront is lovely and you can still get reasonable drinks there, I really liked the Life Grand Cafe - fab food and cheap yummy cocktails.  Orphanage on Bree street was pretty cool and for food La Colombe (sister restaurant of the one in Franschhoek) for a treat but book early, Charango's was unbelievable, Huzzar Grill in Greenpoint and theres also a market of sorts (think indoors farmers market) down by the V&A which was gorgeous.Den anker is another one that springs to mind!

Have fun i am really jealous!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

We are heading up Table mountain and going to book Robin Island but nothing else booked yet.

Is there's a morning that you wake up and can see the top of the mountain then immediately get to the cable car lift and go up. It's possible to spend weeks in Cape Town and never have the clouds clear enough to make a visit worthwhile.

Ponster wrote: »
    We are heading up Table mountain and going to book Robin Island but nothing else booked yet.

Is there's a morning that you wake up and can see the top of the mountain then immediately get to the cable car lift and go up. It's possible to spend weeks in Cape Town and never have the clouds clear enough to make a visit worthwhile.

We did this.... and the clouds rolled in while we were on the cable car!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

We didn't get a car unfortunately so we are a bit restricted that way.
    What kind of spending money should I be looking at for just over 2 weeks? Hotels and transfers already sorted

We organised a car there, it didn't cost much. Drive on the left, same as here.

Spin down to Cape Point to see the cape of good hope is pretty special.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr Devious

I'm thinking of heading to Cape Town and Stellenbosch towards the end of the year and a few days the following year, I'm Leaning towards to about 4 days in Cape town then on to Stellenbosch on new years day for about 3 days and maybe another couple of days elsewhere. but where? Will almost cerrtainly be returning via Cape town, any recommendations. I will have a car and whats it like driving in Cape town, or is it worh the hassle. Maybe get the car for the last 2 days in Cape town before heading to Stellenbosch. Btw I'm guessing Stellenbosch is like Napa valley, or meybe better.

Dr Devious wrote: »
    I'm thinking of heading to Cape Town and Stellenbosch towards the end of the year and a few days the following year, I'm Leaning towards to about 4 days in Cape town then on to Stellenbosch on new years day for about 3 days and maybe another couple of days elsewhere. but where? Will almost cerrtainly be returning via Cape town, any recommendations. I will have a car and whats it like driving in Cape town, or is it worh the hassle. Maybe get the car for the last 2 days in Cape town before heading to Stellenbosch. Btw I'm guessing Stellenbosch is like Napa valley, or meybe better.

Better -90% of the cost too:pac:

Dr Devious wrote: »

Drive up to port Elizabeth and leave the car there. Then fly back to Cape Town

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

We only hired a car when we were leaving Cape Town, Uber was so cheap and hassle free that we used that there.
    We drove around Cape Point and then headed to Stellenbosch and Franschoek for a few days which we really enjoyed. Then we headed to Outdshoorn just to cycle down from the Swartberg Pass, which was nerve-wracking. We then drove to Wilderness stayed in a lovely guest house https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g312610-d624845-Reviews-Cinnamon_Boutique_Guest_House-Wilderness_Western_Cape.html
    we then headed to Port Elizabeth and went on a safari at Quatermains which we loved.
    https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g1151691-d1580236-Reviews-Quatermains_1920s_Safari_Camp-Amakhala_Game_Reserve_Eastern_Cape.html#apg=507ef5f98b1c439db9de24fc5d9776b1&ss=AC010E1AAB6A12C7A360B1D25651F17B

You won't get all that in, but there's lots to see and do there, enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr Devious

What’s your views on safety in Cape Town? Would like somewhere central where you can go out for a few pints within the vicinity oh the hotel without having dodge muggers and cutthroats etc�� what area should I focus on? Is Hermanus worth a night or is there somewhere else in that area? I plan to take in the cape and that general area from Stellenbosch on day trips.

• Advertisement
Advertisement