Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do RTE 2 STILL...

Options
  • 31-12-2018 2:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

show the opposition budget speeches for 5 hours every October? Everyone has NewsNow & Dail TV now, yet RTE seem to think that people still only have 2 channels.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Thanks for the emails. As you know RTÉ has an obligation to be fair and impartial - we also have a responsibility to the audience to analyse and assess.

After an hour of the Finance Minister, it’s important that we try to make sense of the specific measures announced on RTÉ ONE. But RTÉ also has a duty to the opposition parties to carry their responses - which we do on RTÉ 2. If we didn’t carry the proceedings of the Dáil on RTÉ 2, it would severely impact the insights we could provide because we’d be locked into carrying events in the chamber.

It only happens once a year. I fear the fact that the budget is also carried by Oireachtas Tv doesn’t free RTÉ of its obligation to be fair, impartial, and give the opposition parties their chance to respond to the government’s budget proposals.

I have already asked that we review our budget coverage in the round once the dust has settled, to assess whether we did too much (or too little).

Thanks again for the note.

Jon Williams

I noted that RTÉ don't do this on 2fm based on this email they would also have to replicate the same on Radio, they don't on analogue, they may air it also on RTÉ radio 1 extra, but its going form LW in anycase.

I also point out that they could provide the same on RTÉ News Now, he ignored this fact and that technically RTÉ own Oireachtas TV.

Fools. Also that was from 2017, for the 2018 budget, the review must have said no it needs wall to wall coverage.

Advertisement