Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever bought a cream/serum/supplement that made your skin look younger?

Options
  • 30-12-2018 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭

There's just such a ridiculous amount out there I'm kind of afraid to buy any as most feel like massive scams, and probably are. Even scientifically proven products like vitamin c serum and retin a seem to have almost minimal improvements in the before and afters that I've seen, and then there's still disadvantages such as increased sun sensitivity . What has your experience been?

The only thing that seems to have any noticeable effect is make up and as a man I obviously can't make much use of that apart from a dab of concealer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

No cream or serum will make you look younger but a good skincare routine will make your skin look better. Retinols and Vitamin C do make a difference- increased sun sensitivity does happen as a result of retinols but if you use SPF every day that won't be an issue. Vitamin C actually helps to protect your skin (if used under moisturiser and SPF) as it's an antioxidant. Therefore, Vitamin C should be used in the morning and retinols at night.

Proper cleansing is paramount too. I use a balm and remove it with a face cloth wrung out in warm water.

Concealer covers dark circles or whatever and it's effects are cosmetic, it doesn't take the place of a good skincare regime

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Lifelong use of a moisturiser with a bit of sun protection in it will keep you looking smoother for longer. Most of the simple ones have an SPF printed on the side. Use on throat as well as face.

Additionally, exfoliation from time to time will keep fresher skin showing. I use sugar in oil, not plastic microbeads. Only once or twice a month.

Long term, those things make the most difference.

Not convinced about serum, though I use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

My beautifully written post has disappeared.

Go into Sephora, Space NK or Skinstore and read all the reviews for products targeting your "area of concern". Male products only though, I don't imagine formulations for a woman's skin will be much good to you.

My favourite products tend to contain salacilic acid, latic acid or AHAs. Look up Paula's Choice, she does a big men's range and her stuff is cheap and brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

wakka12 wrote: »
    There's just such a ridiculous amount out there I'm kind of afraid to buy any as most feel like massive scams, and probably are. Even scientifically proven products like vitamin c serum and retin a seem to have almost minimal improvements in the before and afters that I've seen, and then there's still disadvantages such as increased sun sensitivity . What has your experience been?

The only thing that seems to have any noticeable effect is make up and as a man I obviously can't make much use of that apart from a dab of concealer

Vitamin C and Retinols always make my skin look instantly glowy, I wouldn't call the affects minimal on my skin.

The ordinary do some good basic products if you want to give them a try.

Sun sensitivity is the compromise but if you find it right spf it's not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well I have seen absolutely amazing results from retin a for fighting acne, but for anti ageing purposes specifically, the results seem pretty minimal.. Usually seems like this kind of result..slightly better skin maybe, but is it worth the time/money...?

hqdefault.jpg

I am keen to try vitamin c by the ordinary as it seems to have rather few potential negaitve side effects but lots of potential benefits, but Im a bit hesitant to try retin a,Ive just heard some anecdotal reports of people getting very aged/weathered skin from using it as it can be very rough treatment. I know theres tonnes of evidence in its favour but still, just off the top of my head one product called lattisse that is used to grow eyelashes can clearly cause periorbital fat loss which is clearly seen in some before after pictures by users and these side effects are denied or not reported by doctors/scientists, so I dont completely trust research! And Ive seen a lot of anecdotal reports from people saying retin a wrecked their skin, and they are not mentioning any poduct specificaly so its not like there are ulterior motives there to sabotage a company name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

First off, the women above has also aged 3 years between the photos, so you have to factor that in. She looks younger rather then older which is amazing.

A clinical strength retinol can cause peeling, it's short-term though, I've never heard of long term issues with it.

If it's not for you that's fine, but I'll personally use it, in low doses, as it suits my skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

Hyaluronic acid makes my skin look younger, it plumps up all the fine lines and my skin looks amazing for a few hours after putting it on but ive noticed the day after ive used it my lines are deeper than normal and my skin is much drier, after regular use over a couple of weeks my skin becomes incredibly dehydrated. I use it the odd time, nights out or special occasions as I do notice such a big difference initially but I dont know why, it just ruins my skin if I use it too often.

The woman's skin is far better in the second picture- clearer, even toned, glowy and her nose to mouth lines are softer.

Retin A is a prescription product and you need to be careful with it, same as over the counter retinols. Don't go overboard with using them, build up a tolerance, make sure to use SPF the next day. I'd be willing to bet most people who said it wrecked their skin didn't use them properly

Hyaluronic acid makes my skin look younger, it plumps up all the fine lines and my skin looks amazing for a few hours after putting it on but ive noticed the day after ive used it my lines are deeper than normal and my skin is much drier, after regular use over a couple of weeks my skin becomes incredibly dehydrated. I use it the odd time, nights out or special occasions as I do notice such a big difference initially but I dont know why, it just ruins my skin if I use it too often.

Sounds to me like your skin is dry as well as dehydrated, which is why the hyaluronic acid works temporarily. I'd advise trying a serum with oil

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

I started using Image skincare products last year and have had the best results over any other product I used previously.

• Advertisement
Advertisement