Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting a colour on my Camo jacket.

Options
  • 30-12-2018 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭

I have an old Camo ski jacket, the colours are black, grey, and white. Great for rocky country but not forest stalking. I was thinking of putting some sort of colour on just the white patches.

What can I use? Matt spray paint, dye, ink.
    Any ideas that would work lads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

clivej wrote: »
    I have an old Camo ski jacket, the colours are black, grey, and white. Great for rocky country but not forest stalking. I was thinking of putting some sort of colour on just the white patches.

What can I use? Matt spray paint, dye, ink.
    Any ideas that would work lads?

Buy a new jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Wait a few more days, according to the weather service gurus you might make use of it, .....

....other wise if it's for deer stalking all the other gurus say colour makes no difference, slow / no movement is the key with disruptive patterns been helpfull.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Some sort of clothes dye in the wash i imagine it would only dye the white bits if it was brown or green ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

You could dye it muddy girl pink. The deer can't see it, or reds or fluorescent greens. But they CAN see blue denim extremely well as well as white as they are colour blind in the red-green spectrum.

Also, camo pattern is utterly irrelevant to them, as they cant see fine detail like what we see.IOW they can see you blinking your eyes up in a tree, but can't see your outline in the tree.
    They have as good night vision as our GEN3 NV devices, and can also "see" your laundry!If you wash your hunting kit with normal washing powder containing "UV enhancers" you are enhancing your signature to them.

TIP,hang your kit outside for August in the sun and rain.Keep it away from human smell as much as possible,IE fag smoke, domestic smell etc. The weather will wash out all the smell and trace of UV detergent, which is what you should do with new kit as well.As deer rely on sight and smell and sound to survive.

So what does this mean? The camo pattern is irrelevant you are going to have to make that jacket very grey or dark for them not to spot you.so your dye cant have UV substances in it either...Then you are going to have to hang it outside awhile to get the stink of dye and detergent out of it too Might be handier just to get a new jacket,and Ebay the snow pattern jacket??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

To reinforce Grizzly's advice with a little story from the British Army of the early 70's, when the combat kit went from olive drab to the now-familiar DPM much-loved by paintballers and airsofters.

The first time that the British Army deployed on a major field training exercise in Germany, it was near-total disaster, with the infantry getting 'slaughtered' just about everywhere they appeared on the battlefield in tactical situations where a stealthy approach was needed. That is to say, the famous 'night attack' scenario.

The reason was simple, and it came out at the 'wash-up' in the brigade commander's 'after the battle' summary. The British Army's opponents were the Bundeswehr, who had some pretty neat kit, amongst which was an IR searchlight and/or headlights on EVERY single wheeled and tracked vehicle, including their motorcycles. Their recce troops even had IR flashlights. The Germans couldn't figure out why the Brits were wearing fluorescent clothing that shone out like a clown suit under UV lighting when the IR lamp was pointed in their direction. Turned out that every piece of the spiffy new DPM combat kit was dyed using a colouration that fluoresced under IR light...over a quarter of a million bits of uniform had to be made surplus.

So if you are an air-softer, then you are probably wearing it next time you go into the woods. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement