Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 8 Smartphone - €244ish (John Lewis)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Harvey Norman have the 7.1 for €280 as well if anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Rael wrote: »
    The Nokia 8 is available from John Lewis for approximately €244. (Payment via Revolut & sent using Parcel Motel)

Same phone is €519.99 from Vodafone here.

Link: https://www.johnlewis.com/nokia-8-smartphone-android-5-3-inch-4g-lte-sim-free-64gb/p3329015

I was considering N8 a few months ago - but it has a very poor camera for a flagship device really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

grogi wrote: »
    I was considering N8 a few months ago - but it has a very poor camera for a flagship device really.

Did it have the Pro update wen you looked at it? An N8 is a much older phone :P
    For this price I would say its good value for the Nokia 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

Davy wrote: »
    Did it have the Pro update wen you looked at it? An N8 is a much older phone :P
    For this price I would say its good value for the Nokia 8.

The n8 came out In 2010. I had the phone myself till I got the Nokia 6 last year

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

The N8 has been 240e on eglobal for months..

• Advertisement

tedpan wrote: »

It is called the Nokia 8. The n8 is a totally different phone and software.

cena wrote:
    It is called the Nokia 8. The n8 is a totally different phone and software.

I'm talking about the Nokia 8

I'm talking about the Nokia 8

I know that. But someone may look the n8.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

I'm not going to get into anything because this is the bargain alerts section, however eGlobal ship from Hong Kong, so if the package gets stopped by customs (highly likely around this time of year) you'll get hit for 10% import duty, VAT on top of the duty and purchase price and then a €10-€12 handling fee.

The general consensus about eGlobal is that they're a general nightmare to deal with if your package gets lost (they recommend you buy extra shipping insurance thus upping the price), if it develops a fault or if you need any form of recourse.

You can get the phone for slightly cheaper from John Lewis with the EU cooling off period, 35 days to return it to the UK if you change your mind or it develops a fault and a 2 year EU wide warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

On a sidenote I've read online that you can replace the nokia photo application software with the google pixel apk which helps improve pic quality, only skimmed over it as I don't have the phone myself but might be of interest to someone wanting to buy it and worried about picture quality.

• Advertisement

Rael wrote:
    I'm not going to get into anything because this is the bargain alerts section, however eGlobal ship from Hong Kong, so if the package gets stopped by customs (highly likely around this time of year) you'll get hit for 10% import duty, VAT on top of the duty and purchase price and then a €10-€12 handling fee.

Usually true when ordering from asia, but eglobal includes all duties so no additional costs.

I do get your point on buying from the UK though, much safer for warranty and returns etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

The Nokia 9 is due to be announced January and released soon after, so expect Nokia 8 prices to drop further.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Usually true when ordering from asia, but eglobal includes all duties so no additional costs.

I do get your point on buying from the UK though, much safer for warranty and returns etc..

Also, a word of warning, the Nokia 8 model eGlobal are selling is missing Band 20 (800mhz) for 4G.

The common consensus is that Vodafone primarily uses this band for 4G with 1800mhz as a secondary, and if you don't have it then 4G+ isn't going to be available to you.

Also, O2 / Three use it for the majority of their coverage outside major urban areas.

this phone wasn't really flagship quality when it came out originally. the improved sirocco edition was a bit better.

it's an ok phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Libera

Hi, any feeback for those who may have received by now? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭shovel

Can I just say that to be wary about buying from John lewis and using parcelmotel etc..i have had to return two items under warranty in the last few years. One in 2016 and one last August
    No bother with the first return.print a label and a courier collected the item,and replacement sent.
    But last August, different story.rang them about faulty item.no problem they said.oh, you're in Ireland.
    Sorry can't do anything for you.
    Eventually after numerous phone calls ,one said that my only option was to post it to their Liverpool store at my expense and they would inspect it and see then.
    I eventually got a refund after 9 weeks.
    Just be careful

Advertisement