Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need to get a Max bill serviced

• 29-12-2018 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi, I have a Max bill chronoscope in need of some TLC.

Anyone got a recommendation for someone to service it here in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭bemak

Hey there. Looking to pick up a Max Bill myself but am curious to know if you got anyone in Dublin to service it in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭redlead

bemak wrote: »
    Hey there. Looking to pick up a Max Bill myself but am curious to know if you got anyone in Dublin to service it in the end?

They use a standard ETA 2824 movement so you could basically get it serviced anywhere that does a watch service really.

redlead wrote: »
    They use a standard ETA 2824 movement so you could basically get it serviced anywhere that does a watch service really.

do you think the same goes for the plexiglass crystal? i've read online its succeptable to scratches etc but I read that it's not a major fix if that happens?

do you think the same goes for the plexiglass crystal? i've read online its succeptable to scratches etc but I read that it's not a major fix if that happens?

you can do that yourself with a bit of Polywatch. I only have one Acrylic watch myself so haven't done it but plenty on here would have. It looks fairly easy to do from looking at youtube anyway.

I love the Max Bill by way, great choice.

you can do that yourself with a bit of Polywatch. I only have one Acrylic watch myself so haven't done it but plenty on here would have. It looks fairly easy to do from looking at youtube anyway.

I love the Max Bill by way, great choice.

Unfortunately there is a coating on it which prevents being able to use polywatch.

Still undecided on which version. The radio controlled Mega is attractive from a timekeeping perspective and the perpetual calendar is great. The automatic with no date is the classic but needs servicing, and the quartz is the best value. Hard to know!!

• Advertisement

I always think that's an interesting question when the options are there. What are you looking for from the watch, how will you be using it etc. For instance, one watch that I intend to get at some stage is a variant of the Cartier Tank, I haven't decided which yet. I don't personally care if I get a quartz one because I want a Cartier for it's design and would value the precious metal I might get for the same price used as a stainless steel automatic one more. For others that would be sacrilege but I have other watches to tick off my mechanical needs.

Junghans watches are all about their Bauhaus design, there is nothing special about the movement (nor does there need to be), so going by my logic above then really if I was getting one, it should be the considerably cheaper quartz version, but I don't know, I just feel it needs to be the automatic. I wouldn't bother with the radio controlled one over a quartz though.

You can get the quartz online at the moment for 405e which is very good. The cheapest automatic is 645e. As you say, it should be automatic to be true to it's roots but there is additional cost associate with servicing it. The cheapest Mega is 635. When I list them like that the quartz looks the obvious choice really at that price doesn't it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I always think that's an interesting question when the options are there. What are you looking for from the watch, how will you be using it etc. For instance, one watch that I intend to get at some stage is a variant of the Cartier Tank, I haven't decided which yet. I don't personally care if I get a quartz one because I want a Cartier for it's design and would value the precious metal I might get for the same price used as a stainless steel automatic one more. For others that would be sacrilege but I have other watches to tick off my mechanical needs.

Cartier was always one that I thought getting their quartz versions made perfectly good sense - they were/are preeminent jewellery manufacturers and their watches are often hailed not for mechanical novelties but because of their bracelets/cases.

Msthirdfox is looking at a Cartier tank herself at some point - makes perfect sense for her to consider the bracelet quartz version (especially if it'll be worn on rotation and she likes the "pick up an go" aspect of quartz). Conversely even getting an automatic on strap (to me) feels like you're missing out on potentially the best part of Cartier - its bracelet.

https://weldons.ie/shop/cartier-gold-bracelet/ - when even the bracelet without a watch costs €5,500 I think for much of the Cartier line it can be thought of "a spectacular bracelet - which happens to tell the time too" :D

Sorry for hijacking thread OP - if the Max uses a 2824 then any watchmaker will be able to service it.

Despite what some people say - I think scratches (even ones on hesalite) give the watch character and unless it affects legibility or water resistance I wouldn't necessarily want to buff it out).

It's the first time I've heard of hesalite being coated on the outside though - you might check that any coating isn't just applied to the inside of the crystal.

You're not hijacking at all. Good to hear similar thinking on other watches. It's not easy 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

You can get the quartz online at the moment for 405e which is very good. The cheapest automatic is 645e. As you say, it should be automatic to be true to it's roots but there is additional cost associate with servicing it. The cheapest Mega is 635. When I list them like that the quartz looks the obvious choice really at that price doesn't it

It's the only quartz I'm gassing after - where did you see these prices?

• Advertisement

david wrote: »
    It's the only quartz I'm gassing after - where did you see these prices?

The quartz is available on Harvey Stores. It says it has a sapphire crystal but I think it's Plexiglas. The Junghans website doesn't have a quartz version with sapphire.

Held off pulling the trigger myself. It was held for me 😔

I need to stop reading this forum, that is too tempting.

I need to stop reading this forum, that is too tempting.

Ya it really is.

I like the look of the Form C Chrono

I absolutely do not need another dress watch but a chrono on the other hand...

I like the look of the Form C Chrono

I absolutely do not need another dress watch but a chrono on the other hand...

They're savage to be fair. Pity about the Plexiglas but I understand why they used it.

Advertisement