Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Fox 1.4

Options
  • 29-12-2018 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Going viewing a 2006 VW Fox 1.4 petrol tomorrow as a car for my 22 yr old sister. Car is cheap to insure for her and is replacing a Daihatsu Sirion that has rusted out beyond economic repair.

Are these a good buy? Have some experience with that 1.4 VW engine. Not particularly powerful or economical but relatively easy to keep in decent fettle. Family members have had polos and ibizias in the past and it wasn't the engine that finished them.

Any items in particular to look out for? Anyone here owned a fox in the past? Granted these would be an uncommon car but any experience of boardsies would be welcome.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Never owned one, but I wouldn’t recommend one, you’re paying 1.4 tax for a car that performs like a 1.0. It’s the same soft engine from the Golf. It’s nowhere as charismatic as the Lupo it replaced.
    An Aygo/C1/107 would be a much better bet, it should be said, all of the cars mentioned (including the fox) are from the size class below the Sirion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

They're a desperate yoke. Really really nasty in every regard. Far better options out there. They were a stop gap for VW after the Lupo was discontinued before the Up! arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭almostover

They're a desperate yoke. Really really nasty in every regard. Far better options out there. They were a stop gap for VW after the Lupo was discontinued before the Up! arrived.

Interesting, going to see the car regardless today. Afraid we only have a budget of a thousand notes and can't go for a car any older due to insurance issues....... it's one of only a few cars in Munster on DD at the moment newer than 05, with NCT and lowish mileage for 1k. Will see what we make of it later but appreciate the input. The Sirion was not a nice car either but did a job for an inexpensive car for an inexperienced driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

My sister had a VW Fox a few ago and I thought it was a great car.
    Decent size, good build quality and not bad looking.

For €1k you can’t go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭almostover

logie101 wrote: »
    My sister had a VW Fox a few ago and I thought it was a great car.
    Decent size, good build quality and not bad looking.

For €1k you can’t go wrong.

Well we bought it this evening. Car was advertised for €1.2k and we took it for €1k. 4 good tyres. 6 months NCT. Only a few minor scrapes in the bodywork. Drove it 40 miles home and it drove perfect. Brakes, clutch, gearbox, engine etc seem perfect. Nice and solid on the roads too so suspension seems good. Car is surprisingly roomy. Only 4 seats but the 2 back seats are very useable. To be honest it ticks all our boxes as a cheap runaround for my 22yr old sister and it's cheaper to insure than her old car. Only one issue with the car is the LCD where the mileage and odometer are displayed is starting to fade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Well done. Hope it works out to be a great bangernomics buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

almostover wrote: »
    Well we bought it this evening. Car was advertised for €1.2k and we took it for €1k. 4 good tyres. 6 months NCT. Only a few minor scrapes in the bodywork. Drove it 40 miles home and it drove perfect. Brakes, clutch, gearbox, engine etc seem perfect. Nice and solid on the roads too so suspension seems good. Car is surprisingly roomy. Only 4 seats but the 2 back seats are very useable. To be honest it ticks all our boxes as a cheap runaround for my 22yr old sister and it's cheaper to insure than her old car. Only one issue with the car is the LCD where the mileage and odometer are displayed is starting to fade.

Wow that’s a great buy at €1k. Thinking back I thought it was a great little car. You are right it is pretty room as well.
    My sister never had any issues with her VW Fox. Just make sure and check the oil every now and again.

Advertisement