Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with my Labrador

Options
  • 29-12-2018 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

My 11 yr old Lab has completely gone off her food. She ate very little on Xmas eve, and since then has ate nothing at all. Yesterday she couldn’t move, was too weak to walk or move about, up until yesterday she was walking around.
    I brought her to the vet, who kept her in on fluids over night, also did bloods and x-ray which came back ok.
    But she still cannot eat , she wants to, but seems too weak to. She cannot stand either, she is just lying down in and out of sleep.
    The vet sent her home with fluids to give her, which we are doing, and will review her on Monday
    but there is still no improvement, and still no movement from her.
    Is their anything I can do for her? Anything extra I can give her?
    She also seems to be doing a twitching or shaking movement every so often.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Personally I’d be contacting your vet and requesting further testing .. something is causing the change in behavior your vet needs to investigate further?

What food have you offered her?

Scrambled egg (cooled) is a good one to offer..

Some nice roast chicken?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Thanks,
    Yes I’m definately not happy, I honestly thought we would get some answers and get her better.
    I’ve tried the chicken, some of the dog food she likes, she’ll smell, and lick it but nothing more.

Is your vet open tomorrow ?

I wouldn’t be waiting until Monday if she’s that bad OP .. if not where r u based? Maybe another bet will be open

Try scrambled egg - most dogs LOVE it and the texture would be easy for her and gentle on her stomach

Is she drinking and weeing ok?

She is a serious risk of dehydration.. which for dogs is much worse than not eating..

Sorry just reading it again.. was she in the vet today? Or yesterday? They may have given her an injection .. I dunno it may take time to take effect?

She was in from 6pm yesterday which was the earliest they could see her, until 12:30pm today when they allowed me to take her home to give her the oralaide by syringe 440ml per day, to review on Monday.
    Unfortunately I’m in the sticks and it’s not open tomorrow.
    To be honest I don’t think she got too much of the fluids that the vet had her on over night as she had pulled out the iv-line.
    She’s not drinking or eating. She will not touch a thing for me.
    If all tests and x-rays came back ok I can’t understand it at all

She was in from 6pm yesterday which was the earliest they could see her, until 12:30pm today when they allowed me to take her home to give her the oralaide by syringe 440ml per day, to review on Monday.
    Unfortunately I’m in the sticks and it’s not open tomorrow.
    To be honest I don’t think she got too much of the fluids that the vet had her on over night as she had pulled out the iv-line.
    She’s not drinking or eating. She will not touch a thing for me.
    If all tests and x-rays came back ok I can’t understand it at all

Do you mind if I ask where abouts are you located?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP is there an 'on call' vet in your locality
    I wouldnt be happy waiting until Monday (its New Years eve too - will that vet definitely be there for you?)
    Can you sryinge some fluids into her mouth yourself? If she hasnt eaten/drunk since Christmas Eve I'd be seriously
    concerned

We are syringing the oralaide into her and she is taking that.
    The nearest to me open tomorrow is an animal hospital 45 mins away.
    To be honest the vet didn’t seem concerned about the not eating/drinking, we did ask if she would be ok to wait till Monday as they wanted and she said yes she will be fine,

Personally I’d take the drive tomorrow OP I wouldn’t risk it .. hope ur dog is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Sorry to hear your dog isn't well :(

It could be a good idea to get a vet on call tonight or bring her to the animal hospital where they can hopefully do more tests to give you a piece of mind. I don't think waiting until Monday is good if she is too weak to eat or drink :(

Maybe your vet doesn't know that she hasn't improved. Can you contact the vet that saw her? I would be nervous that the vet would have shorter hours / closed / emergencies on New Years Eve too. I hope your dog is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Could it be an obstruction in the throat ??

Not eating, twitching and shaking, maybe a twig or similar ?

Just a thought, I am no expert.

SB

• Advertisement
Advertisement