Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartwatch recommendations and clarity

Options
  • 29-12-2018 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to get clarity and recommendations for an Android smartwatch.
    I'd like a smartwatch to replace my phone mostly for fitness and gym activity - so I don't have to have another device on my person when running etc
    What are some good devices for around the 100 mark?
    What are the things to be aware of in relation to SIM cards etc? Am I right that I can get a prepay sim, but this means a different number?

Comments

not aware of any decent option for 100 euro

this was cheaper before (4g version)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-Watch-Sport-Smartwatch-Black/dp/B06Y67D8KY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1546103212&sr=8-3&keywords=huawei+watch+2

swap the sim card

some watches use e-sims (software sims) but they are not available in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Thanks Glasso.
    So I would need to take the sim from my main phone and put it in the smartwatch?

unless you wanted to have 2 separate numbers then yes.

there is a guy here who bought that watch that I linked and seems happy with it.

battery life is short though.

if you go on the chinese sites like Gearbest you could find a cheap 3g chinese no-brand one but that would turn out to be a waste of money I would say pretty confidently.

Thanks. That watch actually looks really nice.
    I'll look up some reviews.

Diceicle wrote: »
    Thanks. That watch actually looks really nice.
    I'll look up some reviews.

here's the thread on the guy who bought it

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108823551

• Advertisement

Do you need to still be getting notifications when working out, or do you just need to have music?

Most smart watches will connect to your gym WiFi if you need notifications. If it's just music that you need, then use a watch that allows you to store local music. I have my watch syncing one of my Play Music playlists, so when I go for a run, I just need my watch and BT headphones.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Do you need to still be getting notifications when working out, or do you just need to have music?

Most smart watches will connect to your gym WiFi if you need notifications. If it's just music that you need, then use a watch that allows you to store local music. I have my watch syncing one of my Play Music playlists, so when I go for a run, I just need my watch and BT headphones.

Right now I'm using an old iPhone as its an appropriate size for gym and outdoor running.
    Notifications etc probably aren't a major concern and thinking about it - I could get away with a smartwatch option that was basically a glorified mp3 player, if I were to download my Spotify playlist for example

yes unless you really want to use the phone aspect probably not needed.

Advertisement