Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox hunting in Ireland

Options
  • 29-12-2018 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

I have recently found out over the last few days that fox hunting is still legal in Ireland. I know it has been banned in the UK and I always assumed that it was also banned in Ireland. I am absolutely appalled that this barbaric sport is still taking place in our country and is completely legal.

I know our animal welfare laws are not where they should be but this is appalling. I can't believe that a sport that involves a group of dogs and people tracking, chasing, flushing out and harming such a beautiful animal is *actually legal* in Ireland. In fact, most people I have spoken to about this thought it was illegal in Ireland too and assumed it was always drag hunts.

There is no reason to justify it:( Foxes are not vermin and in general are not considered as pests by farmers. I can't get my head around that a group of people would look after one type of animal so well(horses) and then be so barbaric towards a different species(fox). I would guess that the foxhounds are live pretty miserable lives too in kennels.

Apologies for the negative post, I am quite fond of foxes and am chuffed when I spot one strutting across the road. I feel sad thinking about it and I have been thinking about it a lot over the last few days. Do most people know this is still legal ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

The last hunt I seen, they had the dogs attack the fox then a fella finished the fox off with a shovel. Horrific stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It is a moronic and barbaric practice, anyone who gets a single ounce of enjoyment out of subjecting any animal to purposely being hunted by another is somewhat deranged.

Plenty of posts in other categories here about people killing crows and the like to try out there new equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    I have recently found out over the last few days that fox hunting is still legal in Ireland. I know it has been banned in the UK and I always assumed that it was also banned in Ireland. ?

In the UK foxes can still be legally killed via shooting, trapping and snaring. In Ireland foxes can still be hunted by mounted packs but in reality they rarely actually catch a fox, most foxes are dispatched in this country in the same way as they currently are in the UK. I would also point out that foxes have never been protected in this country or the UK and yet their population is at an all time high with very high densities now in many of our towns and cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

As per the forum charter, threads on bloodsports are not permitted in this forum.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement